Sunday 31 August 2014

Doctor Who and the Keys of Marinus


"One of the outer casings was pushed open and a shiny black hand emerged, its webbed fingers clawing the air for support. The Voord invasion of Marinus had begun."

Author: Philip Hinchcliffe
Format: Novel
Released: 21st August 1980
Series: Target 38

Featuring: First Doctor, Susan, Ian, Barbara

Synopsis 

MARINUS

a remote force-shielded island set in a sea of acid, governed by 

THE CONSCIENCE 

the ultimate computer which rules and balances the gentle life of Marinus, guarded by 

ARBITAN THE KEEPER

ruthless protector of a peace-loving race threatened by 

YARTEK

Warlord of the brutal sub-human Voords, sworn enemy of Arbitan and of Marinus, who was within his grasp 

THE KEYS OF MARINUS

the Conscience's vital micro-circuits, the doors of good and evil. 

Can the Doctor find the hidden circuits in time? Arbitan's command was 'Find them, OR DIE!'

Verdict 

Doctor Who and the Keys of Marinus was an absolute pleasure to read today. Based on one of my all time favourite Classic serials, I knew this was going to be good and I wasn't left disappointed at all. It was a nice relaxed read that I did with a smile on my face at what was coming next or what had just occurred. Now, for what I think is a first in my 220+ entries, but I need to talk about the synopsis. I love the use of the capitals in explaining what the main grasps of the story was about but I have a big problem with the final quote where it claims Arbitan threatened the TARDIS crew with death. That just isn't the case! I adore this story so I think that final part of the synopsis tarnishes the original Target copy I gleefully picked up last year. The story itself didn't differ much at all from the TV serial and if anything I think the pace was actually improved. The format of two chapters per broadcast episode was brilliant and really helped advance the story along. I love the plot with Arbitan requiring the four remaining 'Keys of Marinus' to reboot the Conscience and eliminate the threat of evil, including that of the invading Voord. I found the description of "sub-human" quite intriguing and something new to the story in this format. I liked how with the novelised take on this story we got to know a bit more detail and get closer to the guest characters, particularly Sabetha and Altos who were outstanding makeshift companions if you like. Having the Doctor missing for two episodes, or in this case four chapters, was felt more effective here in the novel but due to the quality of the guest cast and the chance given to the other companions to shine doesn't hurt it at all. The constant change in setting was an interesting take on a Doctor Who story as every two chapters the scene was changed. Now, that doesn't mean every other novel I've read is just set in one small place but it's usually within the same city (or it's equivalent). However, we had scenes in a paradise, booby-trapped forest, snowy mountain and a court! And yet everything fell into place beautifully. I think the scenes following Ian being knocked out were my favourite. The accusation against him of murder was a big shock, even more so when it was announced he was already guilty of the crime! I loved the take on another planet's system of law and Millennium's was extremely interesting. They had the death penalty for those convicted of murder and it was up to the defence to prove that the accused wasn't guilty and the charge should be dropped. The references to An Unearthly Child and Marco Polo were nicely thrown in and the fact that reading this story out of order as you will was unique to me. When I've watched this story it's always been when watching in order from the very start but seeing the quality still undoubtedly shine through as a stand alone was very nice. The take on episode 4 was fantastic with the cave setting and Vasor's ruthlessness and selfishness. His description was intriguing and I liked how the crew stood up to him. The return of the Doctor towards the end was done excellently after an over 40 page absence and he was ready to defend Ian. He did so valiantly and the confusion regarding the true murder victim was done clearly which could've been problematic. The return to the Conscience with the keys after acquiring the final one was fab. Ian giving the fake key to Yartek, who was a wonderful villain despite appearing only at the start and end, to foil his mission was superb. The explosive climax was great and the goodbyes were done rather nicely. Altos and Sabetha had fallen in love and would now live on and work in the memory of Arbitan and his hopes for Marinus. Overall, a classic story, one of my favourite ever and it was just as good in novelised format. 

Rating: 10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment