Saturday 23 August 2014

Deep Breath



"Never start with your final sanction, you've got nowhere to go but backwards."

Writer: Steven Moffat
Format: TV
Broadcast: 23rd August 2014
Series: 8.01

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis 

When the Doctor arrives in Victorian London he finds a dinosaur rampant in the Thames and a spate of deadly spontaneous combustions. Confused and disorientated following his unprecedented regeneration, and with Clara questioning who the Doctor is following the change, can the TARDIS duo, along with the Paternoster Gang, stop the ancient plan of the mysterious clockwork droids?

Verdict 

Deep Breath was a very solid start to Peter Capaldi's reign as the Doctor. I was rather intrigued by his take on the Time Lord as we'd never before seen the Twelfth Doctor in action, apart from the brief second or so in The Day of the Doctor. I'm not sure I'm in favour of an entire episode focusing on the after effects of regeneration and the Doctor getting back on his feet as was the case here, especially with it being a feature length episode. But then again I'm probably contradicting myself there as I really do love the stories Castrovalva and The Christmas Invasion. But if I was in charge, I'd do something similar to The Power of the Daleks or The Eleventh Hour. Now, thinking about it, I think this episode might be somewhere in between. I thought this episode for the Paternoster Gang was their weakest performance and I guess with it being the first episode for a new Doctor it'll be him who rightly gets the most screen time. But for me, the highlight of the episode was Clara, just as I expected. Regeneration isn't new to us anymore so we know there's going to be some disorientation at least. Ever since The Time of the Doctor aired with Clara's reaction to the change I was always far more interested in seeing how she'd react to the renewal of the Doctor whom she'd clearly taken a shine too. Now that loveable, flirty and quirky guy has been replaced by an old Scottish man. Still the same man. Just not the man she knew. I absolutely love the attire she wore when not in Victorian dress. Tartan beauty indeed. The story itself was very good and I liked it's many resemblances to The Girl in the Fireplace, of which was both humorously and cleverly referenced. The scenes where the Doctor took up the murder case of the dinosaur himself were fantastic. He was speaking horse, embracing the tramp life and disapproving of his face. The eyebrows comments were splendid. I was surprised to see that the fact that Peter Capaldi had appeared in The Fires of Pompeii was referenced with the Doctor seemingly recognising his new face. The return of the Clockwork Droids, or rather their sister-ship Droids, was fantastic. The Half-Face Man was a superb central enemy! His appearance was perfect for a Doctor Who villain and I also loved his voice. It just screamed evil. The fact that the droids had been replacing themselves since the time of the dinosaurs was very intriguing, especially when the Doctor blurted out what they were upto which was a phenomenal concept really. They weren't like the creators of the Cybermen, men trying to become robots, oh no. These were literally the complete opposite. Robots trying to become man. A horrifying concept when you think of it. Usually, Strax is my favourite member of the Paternoster Gang but in this episode it was Jenny who shone brightest for me. Her looks were dazzling and she looked absolutely sensational when posing in a luscious stance for no reason other than Vastra's pleasure. The relationship between the married pair here was great and I loved that both of them, maybe inadvertently, flirted with Clara. At the moment my imagination goes wild. For some reason, I adored the references to Clara's height of 5 foot 1. Something is telling me that's the perfect height for a women. Now, the Doctor calls her his impossible girl but to me, she's the perfect girl. Brunette, fashion sense supreme, courageous, sexy, brittle, beautiful and not afraid. But speaking of impossible, the advert in the paper was very clever and I like how Clara obtaining the phone number to the TARDIS in The Bells of Saint John has not been forgotten. Who is Missy I wonder, the women it seems wants to keep the Doctor and Clara together for whatever reason. How did she manage to bring the Half-Face Man to "heaven" after he self destructed after growing impatient of searching for paradise? The series arc has began in full swing, but I do wish they cut them out. Before I forget, I must say that I think the new opening title sequence is absolutely stunning. I love the clock like theme and it's linking to Capaldi being Doctor number 12. Extremely clever. The eyes too. Wow. The ending of this episode was something I never could have imagined. We got a bonus cameo from Matt Smith! The Eleventh Doctor was ringing his companion in her future from Trenzalore, before she'd entered the TARDIS for his regeneration. The conversation was staggeringly good with great humour and emotion. And I liked how it served as an incredible surprise and a full passing of the torch. As 11 said "is that the Doctor?" so did 12. A brilliant little moment. I loved how taken aback the Doctor seemed once the effects of regeneration had dawned down. He was normal now, who he'd be. Rebooted. And I do hope he brings back those round things in the TARDIS! The TARDIS of which has been nicely and slightly refurbished. The Doctor really needed Clara to help him through the change. And after the phone call from his predecessor, she knew undoubtedly that she could adapt to the new Doctor. They'd help each other through the transition and I think this relationship could bring about a superb duo. There shouldn't be any innuendo which is surprisingly something new! The Doctor wanted Clara, the ego maniac who asks all the questions, to look at him and see the Doctor. And now, as we head into a full length series, she does. The clock is striking twelve. 

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment