Tuesday 22 September 2015

Tooth and Claw


"The dead stay silent. And we must wait..."

Writer: Russell T Davies
Format: TV
Broadcast: 22nd April 2006
Series: 2.02

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Rose

Synopsis 

The Doctor and Rose have to protect Queen Victoria, but can anything stop the Empire of the Wolf? Things aren't as they seem in Scotland. Who is Father Angelo and what is his plan for the British throne?

Verdict 

Tooth and Claw was a very good episode of Doctor Who and one that I think is certainly underrated amongst fans. It's often forgotten which I don't think is fair because it's actually a very significant story! This of course lays the foundations for the incredible spinoff series of Torchwood with the Institute established in the closing scene and this story would later go on to receive numerous mentions later in this second series and in many Torchwood stories. It is of course a pseudo historical and the setting of 1879 is one I was very pleased with. It's only a few days now until I move out to Bath to start my degree in university so it was great to see Queen Victoria portrayed on screen! It even gave an ambiguous reasoning for her having the 'Royal disease' which I just think is marvellous. She was represented well on screen for the time period and I loved how the Doctor was actually intending to take Rose to 1979 to see a band that I'm not a huge fan of at all. Despite his bonkers singing, the early days of David Tennant's incarnation are great for the character. Quirky and easily recognisable of the man the public would go on to love and adore. His delight at discovering the TARDIS had arrived in Scotland was fantastic and I imagine his Twelfth Doctor future self would have reacted in a similar way. The chemistry between the Tenth Doctor and Rose is similar to that of the Fourth Doctor and Romana II in my opinion in that they just seem to love each other's company. The humour was there wonderfully in this episode. Rose attempting to get Victoria to say her recognisable catchphrase of "we are not amused' was a highlight from the story and it really was lovely. She had a small gamble with the Doctor and after a few futile attempts, she finally said it much to the thrill and delight of Rose. Father Angelo was a very enigmatic character I must say. He was a brilliant villainous enemy and looked excellently evil. I'm surprised he didn't feature more prominently in the antagonist role but when he was there the eeriness was striking. I loved the idea of the full moon and Werewolf theme and their attempts to get access to the throne of Britain was pretty frightening! A werewolf on the throne would be interesting to say the least but of course after The King's Demons it wouldn't be the first alien to sit on the throne. Aliens attempting to takeover the monarchy is a fantastic idea and I'm actually surprised it hasn't been used before. The reference to The Parting of the Ways was very clever by including the Bad Wolf element and I also adored the Doctor mentioning his companion from long ago in Jamie. He never forgets those who were close to him which I think is lovely. David Tennant being able to use his natural Scottish tongue was excellent and I liked how Victoria actually mentioned the Doctor's changing accent. The Werewolf was portrayed very efficiently through CGI though I must admit I thought it could have been done better. It wasn't bad and I know it was 9 years ago now but technology wasn't that far behind! The plot was decently paced and there was some good action but I think it could have been a bit more exciting in some parts, particularly in the middle. The trap within a trap element was beautiful though and I liked how Victoria's late husband amazingly played a part in the resolution with the diamond shaving. Overall though, a very good episode that shouldn't be forgotten like it is! There's a whole lot of good and it's hugely significant! The banishing of the Doctor and Rose at the end was a shock I must say but I did like how it paved the way for Victoria to establish the creation of Torchwood. Excellent episode! 

Rating: 8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment