Saturday 5 September 2015

Dalek War: Chapter Two


"We are entering your mind. You cannot resist us!"

Writer: Nicholas Briggs
Format: Audio
Released: February 2003
Series: Dalek Empire 2.02

Featuring: Suz, Kalendorf, Alby

Synopsis 

Two Dalek races are now locked in fearsome combat. The Mentor and her Daleks originate from an alternative universe and have pledged to fight alongside the humans and their allies. But where is the evil Dalek Emperor?

The Dalek Supreme forces have found Susan Mendes. Will she, Alby, Mirana and Morli be able to escape?

Meanwhile, Kalendorf’s forces seem to be winning the war in Earth’s Solar System. But the Mentor’s suspicions are growing...

Verdict 

Dalek War: Chapter Two was a fantastic continuation of what is thus far a very solid second series of Dalek Empire audio stories. After yesterday's listen seemingly serving as a story to get me back into the story and get re-affiliated with the excellent characters, this was back to its best with some great storytelling. Suz was once again the star and I really do love her! Not in the way Alby does of course, but I just think she's superb. After the first chapter I thought Mirana might push her for that right but she didn't feature heavily enough in this story to threaten sadly. I thought the plot of this one was slightly improved and I thought it was good that the Daleks featured more prominently. Suz standing up to them was sublime and I loved her referencing Invasion of the Daleks when she said she was more than prepared to kill herself if it meant preventing the Daleks getting their precious Emperor back. The fact that the Dalek Emperor hid himself, or rather consciousness, in Suz is pretty distributing but it created a magnificent conclusion and lead in to the next chapter. The references back to Dalek War: Chapter One were good and I like how Suz is more in the know of what's going on in this audio adventure. My thoughts that the retrospect way of storytelling would continue were proved right and I like how it's almost not noticeable. It's very clever that it's obviously a recount of how they got to where they were now. Is where they're telling the story from going to be seen in series three perhaps? I'm not sure if that will be the case to be honest. I don't think overlapping three series would be a good idea but if it could be done effectively then I wouldn't object. The difference in voice and tone between the Daleks and Alliance Daleks is very good and I liked how the former left a hologram of the Emperor casing as a trap to lure Alby. I thought Morli was a fantastic character and it's nice to see that somebody is bringing humour to what is actually turning out to be quite a dark and emotional story. The reunion of Suz and Alby after all their time separated was lovely and that just made the conclusion all the more sad. I must say I really am surprised by the direction of this second series after the cliffhanger of Project Infinity. I really wasn't expecting this but I can't say I'm disappointed. As the ratings show, it's been very solid so far so I have few complaints. Although the plots have been decent in these opening two stories, I am now hoping for some more action in the last two chapters of the series. I'm also expecting something special from Suz following the way she was left off here! The torment she must have gone through would be immense. The Emperor's revival was coming. She was him and he was her. Together as one, Suz was the Dalek Emperor. I'm sure the Dalek Supreme will be more than happy but on the other side I'm sure the Mentor will be disgraced that her earlier orders were not carried out. The revelation that these supposedly 'good' Daleks were still very Dalek as we know them was magnificent. They were still destroying planets but just for very different reasons. The war is only going to get worse by the looks. The Angel of Mercy has been taken over by the Dalek Emperor and Alby must surely be heartbroken. It was a superb ending to a very good story and I hope this serves as a great lead in to the next instalment. Overall, another solid and very good audio story. 

Rating: 8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment