Monday 7 September 2015

Dalek War: Chapter Four


"Victory... or death!"

Writer: Nicholas Briggs 
Format: Audio
Released: May 2003
Series: Dalek Empire 2.04

Featuring: Suz, Kalendorf 

Synopsis 

Two thousand years ago, the galaxy was devastated by a great catastrophe. No one really knows what happened. Some say it was the work of the 'Dark One' of the 'Bringer of Death'. 

And in the ancient remains of a civilisation on the planet Velyshaa, a lonely outcast is uncovering evidence of who that terrible figure really was. 

Could it be that Kalendorf's determination to rid the galaxy of the Daleks will bring about the destruction of everything? Indeed, can the Daleks ever be truly defeated...?

Verdict 

Dalek War: Chapter Four was a very good finale to what has been a great and consistent second series of Dalek Empire audio adventures. This series has been hugely different from what I was expecting following the conclusion of Project Infinity. Although it's been clear that a war has been going on between the two Dalek factions, from different universes, there hasn't actually been any fighting portrayed to us as the listener. I was screaming out for a scene of action with Dalek crossfire but sadly we didn't get it. Maybe the Daleks from beyond the gateway just didn't quite go that way. It seemed more of a Cold War from where I was listening. The great catastrophe story at least gave the war some more credibility which I thought was good. Although it wasn't noticeable much in the last two chapters, it was absolutely clear here that the story was being told in retrospect with Saloman. I thought she was magnificent and she could have pushed Suz and Mirana for my favourite character had she featured more in the story and series. The opening of the story with her and Tarkov was superb and I loved the recollection of events. I liked the way she tapped into the thoughts of Kalendorf some time after he had passed, now standing in his tomb. Where she slept seemed pretty disturbing though! I still like the ambiguity surrounding whether Kalendorf has feelings for Suz. From my perspective, I would say that it is pretty clear he does. The heartbreaking farewell I guess it has to be called between Suz and Alby was really good. It was emotional but Suz was doing what she thought best. The unthinkable was happening - they were teaming with the enemy Daleks! Suz was outstanding once again in this audio and I really do love her character. She's been a shining light in this spinoff range and outside of Return of the Daleks, I'd love for her to meet and travel with the Doctor after all she's been through. What, with having the consciousness of the Dalek Emperor inside her head. The encounter between Kalendorf and the Mentor beyond the gateway was very good and I really liked the dialogue. It was an intriguing conversation to say the least! I can't quite comprehend what it would be like in another universe, but I imagine it would be quite the experience even if the Daleks weren't as good as we first thought they would be. I liked how this story saw a prominent role for the Dalek Supreme which for some of the series has seemed to be lacking. With the Emperor temporarily out of action, I think it's great that we had the Dalek Supreme taking on the leadership role of the Daleks. I really liked the references to The Sirens of Time, Invasion of the Daleks and Dalek War: Chapter One. The first was probably my favourite audio to get referenced and it did really throw my mind back to the very first audio story. That seems like such a long time ago now but somewhere near the very start of this blog you'll find the somewhat smaller entry than what I post now. As the blog has gone on, the amount I've said has grown considerably. And with finally purchasing a new laptop ahead of university I've been able to customise the blog and jazz it up a bit which looks good. My only problem with the finale was the way in which the war ended. The Alliance Daleks simply retreated as they felt the war was not winnable. The reasoning was understandable seeing as it wasn't their universe, but to run away due to a stalemate wasn't the best of ways to finish. I did like though that Kalendorf returned to Velyshaa. That was a nice way to finish the series. Unlike series one, this series has finished with no lead in so I'm not sure what to expect from series three which I think is a good thing. I look forward to going in on a clean slate where just about anything can happen! Overall though, still a fantastic audio adventure and a more than decent finale. Not quite as good as the first series, but a brilliant continuation of the spinoff range.

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment