Friday 4 September 2015

Dalek War: Chapter One


"Victory for the Daleks! Victory for the Daleks!"

Writer: Nicholas Briggs 
Format: Audio
Released: January 2003
Series: Dalek Empire 2.01

Featuring: Suz, Kalendorf, Alby, Mirana

Synopsis 

The galaxy is in the grip of a terrible war. Kalendorf and his alliance forces are fighting alongside Daleks from another dimension. Their common cause? The defeat of the Dalek Supreme's mighty army.

But where is the evil Emperor of the Daleks? And it can it be that the legendary Angel of Mercy, Susan Mendes, has already been exterminated?

With civilisation on the brink of destruction, it may now be impossible to tell friend from foe...

Verdict 

Dalek War: Chapter One was a very good start to the second series of Dalek Empire! I must admit it does seem a while since I finished series one, which was last November, and this story really was nice to reintroduce myself to the fantastic characters this spinoff range has created. Of course, Kalendorf was a centrepiece of the first series after initially making his audio debut in The Sirens of Time. I liked his story in this audio adventure with the constant talk of him continuously changing sides. Would anybody be able to trust him? I'm not so sure. I think I'd forgotten how much I loved the character of Suz and once she was woken up from her six year sleep she instantly became my favourite character in the story. The emotion she portrayed was fantastic and I loved her reminiscing of Alby. Those two certainly had quite the story in the first series. With the love interests, I think I mentioned this whilst blogging last year, but Dalek Empire really does have the feel of a sci-fi soap opera! I think it's brilliant and I really do like the atmosphere. I must admit, this audio surprised me in the way it started. After the brilliant conclusion to Project Infinity, where the good Daleks from the other side of the dimensional gateway emerged, I thought we really would have war on our hands. Although now after listening, I hope that's saved and built up to me a great moment. I'm confident that Nicholas Briggs will deliver. I was intrigued by how the story was pretty much told in retrospect and based on the way this ended I am expecting that to continue. I have no problems with that at all. Although it seems I really like Suz, I think Mirana is going to go close in being one of my favourite characters. The female characters are magnificent in this story and Mirana guiding Suz through the events of the past six years served as a good recount of the first series for any listeners that perhaps may have forgotten due to the length of time between release. During the telling of past events, the references to Invasion of the Daleks, "Death to the Daleks!" and Project Infinity were very good. I really liked the emotion Suz had when she remembered her rallying of the troops in bringing death to the Daleks. That was one of my favourite moments of the whole first series so hearing that once again was fantastic. It was great to hear Alby once more and it's going to be interesting to see how the love story with Suz goes seeing as she's been asleep for the last six years! The revelation that the Mentor was the creator of the Alliance Daleks was superb but most unexpected. I'd love for Davros to one day meet her! That conversation would be a heated one I would think. I liked how she served as a sort of Queen Dalek. We had the Dalek Supreme featured and the Emperor mentioned with some big implications for Suz, but I really like the sound of the Mentor. There will be no good Davros by the looks. The Daleks themselves, from this universe, were up to no good again and I just love the way they say Susan Mendes. They still desperately want to acquire her in the hope it'll win them the war. Daleks using the phrase 'enemy Daleks' is brilliant in itself. The cliffhanger finish was very good and exciting and immediately from the off in the second series I'm left wanting more! Overall, a very good return to the range. I hope we get some more action in the next stories! 

Rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment