"There are worse things here than the Daleks."
Writer: Alan Barnes
Format: Audio
Released: August 2026
Series: Second Doctor Adventures 5.03
Featuring: Second Doctor, Raven, Jamie, Victoria
Synopsis
A mysterious mirror, a glimpsed figure and powerful static electric discharges form a web of intrigue that draws in friends and foes from history.
Verdict
The Hungry Glass was another very good and intriguing episode to conclude my listening of The Haunted Windmill fifth series of Second Doctor Adventures! The consistency of this series has been really impressive and I think that is definitely aided by the fact every episode was written by the same writer. This so easily could have been sold as a six-parter but I'm really glad it wasn't as these certainly feel like three distinct stories within an overlapping theme. That's always my preference when it comes to new releases so I was delighted with the format. I think Michael Troughton was brilliant again as the Second Doctor and with this being a sidestep in the timelines and continuity, exacerbated here by the different simulation version of Earth, he really has made the role his own. Raven continues to just be wonderful and enthralling and hearing her here ridicule the use of the word 'over' on the walkie talkie communication was a delight. It's the simple things. I thought this story did a very good job in basically setting the scene for a different version of The Evil of the Daleks and it just makes sense with the use of mirrors! I was glad that the appearance of the Daleks here was kept a surprise because it did come as a great moment at the cliffhanger. This was like the opposite of so many cliffhangers in which they are revealed that are basically pointless because the title is usually something 'of the Daleks'! But here it was fantastic and I did kind of expect it with the focus on static electricity and this version of Earth being one prior to the Doctor arriving and therefore much before The Daleks and his first encounter with his greatest enemy. That was presented really well. This definitely had a feeling of Alice Through the Looking Glass which was surely intentional and things certainly got whacky. The use of fiction as a means of power linked to the Daleks and static with the mirrors was quite spectacular in its audacity! There was quite a lot going on and whilst it was part of the charm, I thought it was a tad difficult to follow in parts. Jamie featuring here was good although I'm not sure about him asking after Bertie's mother in a kind of romantic or hitting on her kind of way! That would still be his descendent! I don't think it's any secret that Jamie is a little thirsty for action during his time on the TARDIS, but that felt perhaps a tad too far even if this isn't the version we know and love. I thought the use of Victoria in the story was certainly unexpected as she was younger than the version that became companion and that makes sense with then 1963 setting. The link through the glass to the Victorian era was good and obviously going to be different from what we saw on screen during her debut adventure, but now it seems she is going to stick around! At least for the next boxset on this simulated Earth at least. That will certainly present a different dynamic and I'm excited to hear where things go from here. The use of Lethbridge-Stewart again was terrific and I'm glad he made a return. He just offers so much and it's fun to have him as part of the police here. Jon Culshaw is also just magnificent in capturing the essence of Nicholas Courtney. Overall, another fascinating and enigmatic story to conclude a very strong and consistent boxset! But things are far from over and I'm looking forward to exploring this version of Earth more moving forward. A very strong conclusion!
Rating: 8/10

No comments:
Post a Comment