Friday, 14 August 2026

Sullivan and Cross – AWOL: London Orbital


"I feel we have unfinished business."

Writer: John Dorney
Format: Audio
Released: November 2022
Series: Seventh Doctor Adventures 2.01

Featuring: Seventh Doctor, Harry, Naomi

Synopsis

Long ago, a massacre in a suburban house led to the young Harry Sullivan joining UNIT. But the murders were never solved. Years later, Harry and Naomi Cross investigate an oddity in the London Underground and uncover a whole different side to the capital. 

Creatures of myth are running amok across the city in a conflict going back decades. And somewhere in the shadows lurks a new incarnation of their old friend... the Doctor. And he's here to stop a war.

Verdict

London Orbital was a very good start to the Sullivan and Cross – AWOL second series of Seventh Doctor Adventures! After completing the Nemesis range of UNIT, I thought it would be a good time to fully delve into the adventures of Naomi Cross as companion. I'd been putting them off as I caught up with UNIT but after completing that range now, it felt like I was overdue getting to know this unique companion. I think the release schedule for her run as companion is pretty whacky and clearly Big Finish have taken liberties with how far in advance they record the Fourth Doctor Adventures. I try to avoid as many spoilers as possible but when you're playing catchup it's sometimes difficult! I'm not too far behind on the FDAs but I just find it baffling that Naomi's adventures aren't released in chronological order. I'm not sure what it adds and it just feels like I'm missing out slightly here as a listener. I still don't feel like I've been properly introduced to her and that's a bit of a shame and disservice to the character. Saying that, I thought the story was strong and the delayed arrival of the Seventh Doctor into the adventure was really well done. I thought Harry and Naomi could have been utilised much better in the Nemesis saga so I liked that they were centre stage here. Their dynamic was good and them having to explain to the Doctor that they weren't left in the right time after encountering the Dominators was great stuff. I also liked how the pair have read up on the UNIT files and knew a good deal about this incarnation in particular. Especially when it comes to his manipulative and testing nature. This is a very different Doctor to the one they previously travelled with and I'm looking forward to exploring that dynamic further. They didn't take too much convincing to rejoin him in the TARDIS with just a few stops along the way to getting them back to their own time. Just how reliable will the Doctor be in getting them there? I guess that's part of the journey now. I would be lying if I said I wasn't confused by some elements of this story but I think that was also part of its charm. The concept behind the different Earth that was the realm of Alfar was a little strange but I did love the idea behind science as words. To humanity, that looked like enchantment but it went much deeper than that. I like the incomprehensible and in some instances this was rather whacky. The different family factions of the Alfar were good but I do think a more distinct differentiation in their name would have been welcomed. Keryth actually being the traitor who was playing both sides against each other came to the forefront well and the Doctor guiding his companions into working that out was a really strong moment. It was like a teacher with his students. He knew that they could work it out. That felt very much of the Seventh Doctor. The significance of the Underground was excellent and the obvious reference to The Web of Fear came but unfortunately there were no Yeti this time around. Clerkenwell was good as the setting in that regard but I do think a lack of visuals hurt a little with the jumping between realms. Agrandir was a superb character though and that voice just oozed power and presence! Naomi realising that they needed to show that Keryth was perpetrating conflict was a pretty simple resolution in the end but in a story as complicated as this one, that was actually rather welcomed. The mythology and world building was impressive. It definitely had vibes of Battlefield which is certainly a compliment! I'm now intrigued to hear where things go for this trio moving forward. Overall, a great start to the series! 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment