Monday 30 November 2015

Logopolis


"This is the end... but the moment has been prepared for."

Writer: Christopher H. Bidmead
Format: Novel
Released: October 1982
Series: Target 41

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Adric, Nyssa, Tegan

Synopsis 

In theory the TARDIS should be able to change its appearance to blend in unobtrusively wherever it happens to materialise. In practice, however, because of a fault in the chameleon circuit, it always looks like a police box - a minor inconvenience the Doctor now hopes to correct. 

Fixing the mechanism involves a visit to Earth and a trip to the planet Logopolis - normally a quiet little place that keeps itself to itself. 

But on this occasion the meddling presence of the Doctor's archenemy, the Master, ensures the disruption of normality. And even the Master is horrified by the threat of total chaos he unintentionally precipitates - until he finds a way to turn the imminent destruction of the universe to his own advantage...

Verdict 

Logopolis was an excellent novel to read on my train journey back to Bath this morning. After watching the television story what I think is at least three times, I knew it was going to be a good read and I was intrigued to see how Christopher H. Bidmead tackled going about novelising a story as crucial and important as this one. After seven years at the helm, this was Tom Baker's swansong and boy was it a good one on TV. I still thought it was magnificent novelised but I do think that if Terrance Dicks got this novel instead it would have seen the rating improve by that one mark it's missing. Nonetheless, the plot is a marvellous one and I like how much of the early pages takes place inside the TARDIS console room. Just there with the Doctor and Adric. I think it's a little bit of an odd couple for me as I would commonly associate Adric as being a companion of the Fifth Doctor but he actually did do five stories with Tom Baker before Peter Davison arrived! Now, I'm not a fan of Adric at all on television but I actually thought he was really good in this story I must admit. The characterisation of him was absolutely spot on which I think helped a lot for my liking of him. In fact while I'm on the topic I thought characterisation was at a premium throughout which was really positive. From start to finish, Tegan was shown in a really great light both before and after she stumbled aboard the TARDIS. I was quite surprised by her lack of grief at discovering that her aunt Vanessa had been killed though. She soon learned how gruesome and evil the Master could be. I don't think it was the best adventure for her to begin travels in the TARDIS! Would it beat being an air hostess though? Surely! Once Nyssa arrived into the fold around halfway through, she too was wonderfully characterised just like the two other companions which was just brilliant. I do like Nyssa I must say in her early travels. I loved her in Doctor Who and the Keeper of Traken, the novel she literally is the face of and it was great to see her return here. The story had many references with Full Circle, Warriors' Gate and The Keeper of Traken all getting a mention. There was even a throwback to An Unearthly Child which was very good. I thought it was an intriguing point in time to read this novel after recently watching Heaven Sent with the revelation that the Doctor didn't leave Gallifrey because he was bored. Things were hinted upon here and it's nice to see that Moffat didn't create any contradiction, at least not for this story anyway! The Master was as brilliant as ever and the capturing of Anthony Ainley's incarnation of the incredible villain was astonishingly good. Another stellar example of characterisation. The traits were there immediately and reading this made me realise just how good Anthony Ainley was in his first portrayal of the Master. He more than brought the character back to life and this story is the first we get to see of that. He really is superb. The Watcher was presented very well in novelised format I must say and it was an aspect of the story I was a little worried about but everything went really well. It really was just watching and getting ready for what was to come. I think the Doctor knew what was meant by the presence of the Watcher and as my opening quote suggests it wasn't all a shock. With the Master intent on ruling the universe or see it destroyed, the Doctor had to do what was necessary. By using the Pharos Project to help return Logopolis to normality and in turn bring about the stabilising of the universe, the Doctor risked his life. And he lost it. But the moment had been prepared for. I thought the regeneration itself was a little rushed in print when there was no need but I was intrigued that the Fifth Doctor got some words in this interpretation of the story! After winning Castrovalva on eBay for a mere 99p, I look forward to hopefully seeing this expanded upon. But for now, this was an excellent novelisation! 

Rating: 9/10





No comments:

Post a Comment