Thursday 19 November 2015

Echo


"Sometimes, the noise of the world deafening."

Writer: Robbie Morrison
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 5th November 2015
Printed in: DWC 2.02

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Gabby

Synopsis 

Overwhelmed by her experienced with the Tenth Doctor, Gabby is happy to return home to Sunset Park, Brooklyn, and see her friends and family again. Having witnessed the true value of life in the terror of the trenches, Gabby's travels have already left a deep impact. But evading the stares of the Weeping Angels may prove easier than coming home, even if just for a short visit - especially when the Doctor is around. Will life for Gabriella Gonzalez ever be normal again? And if not, does she care?!

Verdict 

Echo was a lovely little comic strip and a great continuation of the wonderful ongoing adventures with the Tenth Doctor and Gabby! This pairing really are magnificent together and I think it's the third of Doctor Who Comic I am enjoying the most. I think that's down to the fact that it's been nearly six years now (has it really?!) since we saw David Tennant depart as the Tenth Doctor in The End of Time and it's just superb to still be getting new adventures with the much loved incarnation of the Time Lord. My void of Tenth Doctor stories has been filled somewhat with his novels with Martha, that's the pairing I've read the most of this year, but getting to know a new companion alongside an old incarnation of the Doctor is just brilliant. I don't get that same feel with Alice in the Eleventh Doctor section which is a shame but maybe the inclusion of Jones and ARC or preventing me getting to like her. Or it's probably her excessive meaning. Gabby on the other hand is a breath of fresh air and even after the traumatic events the Doctor experienced with Donna in Journey's End, I can easily see why Gabby persuaded him to take her on his travels with him. I really liked how Gabby wanted to come home just to remind her family that she hadn't gone anywhere. I think the way I'm reading these comic stories, month by month, is helping me get to know the companions a lot better. Had I waited for the story to complete, as I did up until DWM's The Eye of Torment, then I don't think I'd get the same effect. The fact that this story took place roughly an hour and a half after Revolutions of Terror really was quite something! I liked how that story got mentioned on more than one occasion and it really was a good start to the Titan Comics range. From the first part I had a feeling that the story was going to mirror Onomatopoeia with a near complete wordless comic story! I'm glad we didn't get that as it would take away from the uniqueness factor. The story itself was very good and I liked how we got to see all of Gabby's family once again. Cindy is a really nice character and I do hope that in future stories with Gabby we get to see her once again. Gabby's father is quite a comedic character and I liked his reaction to his daughter putting on her apron again. I really liked the reference to The Arts in Space and the Doctor's realisation that Gabby could have easily died. I loved how she countered that by saying that it was her choice, and hers alone, to join him in the TARDIS. He wasn't having her assume the responsibility though should anything happen to her. When the time comes, and I hope it's not for a long time yet, for Gabby to leave I am going to be mightily intrigued to see how she leaves and what effect that will have on the Doctor. The mention of The Weeping Angels of Mons was magnificent and I imagine that story will get referenced for many stories to come because of its length, but also because it was simply sublime. It's the best story from DWC yet. The similarities to Evolution of the Daleks with the use of the spire on the Empire State Building was really good. The Shreekers were decent enemies, even if they looked a bit silly. The concept of the Echoes, composed of pure noise, was really intriguing and I liked their appreciation once their being chased was stopped by the Doctor. Overall, a very good story for a one parter and another wonderful addition to the Tenth Doctor and Gabby run! 

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment