Saturday 21 November 2015

Face the Raven


"Forget the way you usually look at the world, this street is going to be hiding in plain sight."

Writer: Sarah Dollard
Format: TV
Broadcast: 21st November 2015
Series: 9.10

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara 

Synopsis 

Clara probably never expected her friend Rigsy to need the emergency TARDIS phone number she gave him after they defeated the Boneless in Bristol. Yet today he's in big trouble, sentenced to die for a murder he can't remember commuting. The Doctor and Clara's campaign to exonerate Rigsy leads them to a secret London street where alien refugees hide in plain sight. Once they gain access, they'll learn the terrible answers to various questions. Such as: what is a chronolock? And what exactly does it mean to face the raven?

Verdict 

Face the Raven was a simply incredible episode of Doctor Who! What a sunning debut for Sarah Dollard as writer and it really is no coincidence that now my two favourites episodes of the series so far have been written by women and also feature the magnificent Maisie Williams! Prior to reading the DWM preview, I had no idea she was returning so soon in the series so I was absolutely thrilled with that! She's just such a good actress but here Ashildr has taken on something extraordinary. Although she's now going by the name of Mayor Me, Ashildr is dealing with the aftermath of the Doctor's visits to Earth. All those left behind once he quickly departs again in his TARDIS so he doesn't have to remember the consequences. The return of Rigsy was an interesting move I must say. I did like him in Flatline but I never thought we'd see him returning, let alone ringing the TARDIS! The Doctor's reaction to that was very good. I must say, Peter Capaldi was outstanding throughout this and arguably gave his best performance yet. I loved how when he knew Rigsy was going to die, he started calling him by his actual name and not the usual "local knowledge" or "pudding brain" as we might be used to. Things got very serious very quickly in this episode and it was incredibly powerful. The concept of a trap street is one I like very much and the way the trio went about discovering it was very good and comedic with Clara enjoying hanging out of the TARDIS. They eventually found their way in and the steps towards clearing Rigsy's name would ensue. The chronolock concept with the tattoo counting down was excellent but Clara seemed to have found the line where she was acting too much like the Doctor. It seems she'd taken safety for granted and she just wasn't quite up to being the Doctor. Rump had told her how to escape a chronolock - Ashildr could remove it or someone could willingly take it. However, you could not cheat death and that's exactly what Clara was trying to do. She just found herself out of depth. The whole thing being a trap constructed by Ashildr was something that I didn't expect! She was absolutely right in saying that the Doctor couldn't resist a mystery. She planned it to perfection and acquired the TARDIS key and trapped the Doctor in a teleport bracelet. Where she was sending him we'll find out next week and why she's doing it is another question that should get answered. This episode had it all! I loved all the different species that we saw disguised as humans in the safety of the trap street. We saw Judoon (wonderfully in police uniform), Sontaran, Ood, Cyberman, Ice Warrior and Silurian! I loved the references to Dark Water/Death in Heaven, The Girl Who Died, The Woman Who Lived and The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion. But the episode was all about Clara. I must say the closing moments had me in tears! I'm not ashamed to say that it was the first (and I believe only) time since Doomsday that television has brought tears to my eyes. Clara's speech was simply stunning and I loved how she was trying to comfort the Doctor. She realised he would be on his own, something he's not very good at, but she ordered him not to seek revenge. I'm not sure that will be fully carried out but I can't bloody wait for the finale! I'm intrigued to see the return of the confession dial and I'd love to see Missy back but I'm expecting something extraordinary. For now though, it was time to say goodbye to Jenna Coleman who has simply been an incredible companion. She's easily my favourite companion since the revival and she mud surely have topped the list for most stories now. I don't actually know the record but she's got to be somewhere very close. The way she exited really struck a chord with me, screaming in silence with the Doctor looking on distraught. I was in shock but I thought it was such a powerful way for a companion to leave. Companions don't die often, none since Adric in Earthshock over thirty years ago, but I really hope this is not overturned. As much as I love Clara the way she died was incredible. I will never forget sitting at my desk in my room watching and crying as she realised death was soon upon her. Capaldi and Coleman have been outstanding together and the next companion has huge boots to fill! But there's a lot to do before we get there. Where is the Doctor going? Why has he been sent there? What's in his confession dial? Who wants it? So many questions and we've also been promised one of the greatest cliffhangers yet. I can't wait. That though, is next week. Tonight it was all about Clara. Goodbye Jenna, and thank you. You were amazing. 

Rating: 10/10




No comments:

Post a Comment