Tuesday 12 November 2019

The Warriors


"There will be progress."

Writer: Nicholas Briggs
Format: Audio
Released: September 2004
Series: Dalek Empire 3.05

Featuring: Galanar, Tarkov, Saxton, Kaymee, Elaria

Synopsis

"Fugitives still at liberty!"

Galanar and Elaria have discovered that they were transformed into genetically augmented warriors over two thousand years ago. The Alternative Daleks responsible have long departed. Galanar and Elaria also know that they were created to destroy the Daleks forever... But how can they do that when they are facing a Dalek execution squad?

The Graxis Wardens have penetrated deep into Dalek territory, without a hope of victory. Meanwhile, Kaymee uncovers the truth about the Daleks and the NFS Plague...

Verdict

The Warriors was a superb audio adventure and definitely the best story of the third series of Dalek Empire so far! I loved this one and it was certainly a rapid improvement on The Demons, partly because it actually explored the origins of them! I really liked that and going back to the Dalek War of 2,000+ years ago is great. All sights are set on Velyshaa for the finale and I think that's a fantastic move and direction to go in. The telepathic account of the Dalek War should be quite intriguing and I'm sure it'll involve some nice flashbacks to the war and series two. I look forward to that and I do hope that the series ends on a high, but I must give praise to this adventure because it was just brilliant from start to finish. Everything seems to be coming together and with Kaymee back and seemingly cured of the NFS plague, she was terrific. Her dealing of her dreams and the Daleks was excellent and I loved the idea of her sleepwalking into somewhere she wasn't supposed to go. Carneill  was back again and his good nature was actually quite frustrating given that he was still working for the Daleks. I really would like to know what he is getting out of it, but his suffering from the radiation was a good development and I liked that Kaymee obviously wasn't subject to its effects. So the cure of the NFS plague seems to involve the subject becoming a Dalek! It was quite something to hear a Dalek claim to be Kaymee's father, but I think that is exactly what has happened and that is just magnificent. I'm really a fan of that and it would obviously explain why the Daleks are posing as healers and want to be friends. That is not a new concept but it is always one that just doesn't fit right for the Daleks and that just makes it work. There is no conceivable way that they would be good. Tarkov was undoubtedly the star of the this story with his emotional outburst to Galanar and Elaria. He just couldn't understand why they would have deceived him, especially to the extent of Elaria pretending to be his daughter. Hearing of the hope that her transformation gave him was very sad because it was all a lie. His struggles to understand how they had survived since the time of the Dalek War was good and I was very interested to learn that he still trusted them. Another of their modified traits at work. I wonder if there are any more to come in the finale? Galanar referring to the Dalek Supreme as female was great and I do hope that she gets face to face with someone like Saxton. A description of what is seen would be quite spectacular so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The Graxis Wardens joining up with Galanar, Tarkov and Elaria was great and I think they'll make a good team in the finale where they'll surely come up against the Daleks in a race for Kalendorf's knowledge of the Dalek War. Galanar still debating over whether he can trust Elaria was good and I like how honest he was. I definitely thought things were going to go differently after The Demons but thankfully that is not the case. Overall, a really great audio adventure that brings things together very nicely for the finale.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment