Sunday 10 November 2019

The Survivors


"There is no real evidence that these Daleks even exist."

Writer: Nicholas Briggs
Format: Audio
Released: July 2004
Series: Dalek Empire 3.03

Featuring: Galanar, Tarkov, Saxton

Synopsis

The Galactic Union remain blissfully unaware of the Dalek threat. And in the Border Worlds, the Daleks appear to be helping cure the deadly NFS plague which has claimed millions of lives. Only the Graxis Wardens know the truth about the Daleks... And they have been all but wiped out.

The Daleks are beginning to show their true colours, but now it may be too late to stop them...

Verdict

The Survivors was another great continuation of the third series of the Dalek Empire spinoff series! As I have now reached the halfway point, I have to say I am very much looking forward to the rest of the series continuing this adventure and I liked the focus being on those wardens that survived the Daleks and their destruction of Graxis Major. I didn't expect Carneill to encounter them so quickly, let alone reveal that there were indeed survivors! I liked how Saxton preyed on his good nature that remained somewhere inside of him in allowing herself and her comrades to escape capture, but the news was out and you just know that the Daleks aren't going to be happy about people surviving. Their starting of the geoforming of the planet was intriguing and I would love to know exactly what they plan for the planet. Whatever it is, I'm sure Saxton and co being on the planet as it is carried out is not good news. Kaymee coming down with the NFS plague was quite devastating and I guess my suspicions that she would grow into a major character were wrong, at least for this series at least, as I don't see her playing a part until at least the fifth story now. Even then I think she could display weakness as a result of her infection which is a shame. I thought it was a nice moment where Seth got to check up on his daughter and learn of how successful she was projected to me. Galanar still posing as Dennis is something that interests me and I have been very impressed with David Tennant's performance, and that's not just because I have the benefit of listening in 2019 knowing that he would go onto be cast as the Tenth Doctor. He's just a superb actor! The revelation at the story's cliffhanger was something I didn't see coming with it being revealed that he, whatever he is, was actually created by the Daleks! I am very intrigued to find out just what he is and why the Daleks would create his kind. They really are presented in an interesting way in this series and I think the absence of the Doctor allows for so much depth. I'm turning into a big fan. I'm still feeling incredibly sorry for Tarkov and having to hear of how his testimonies regarding the Dalek threat were dismissed because of his medical condition just didn't seem right at all. I definitely sympathise with him and I do hope that he ends up having the last laugh, or at the very least is at least heard before it is too late. I suspect that'll be the opposite of what happens though! Finding out that Amur isn't actually his daughter was another surprising element of this audio and I have to say it is something I hadn't even contemplated. She has seemed so genuinely emotional about the return of her father but to find out that Tarkov's real daughter died when she was 7, some 15 years prior to when this adventure is set, was unexpected but I like the mystery. Just who is this enigma posing as Tarkov's daughter? What is her motive and what does she hope to gain? I certainly look forward to finding out. Overall, another very good audio story! I hope we get more of the Dalek Supreme/Susan Mendes modification very soon, as I am super keen for that to be explored further.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment