Saturday 16 November 2019

Paradise 5


"We can't have frowns in paradise."

Writers: PJ Hammond & Andy Lane
Format: Audio
Released: March 2010
Series: The Lost Stories 1.05

Featuring: Sixth Doctor, Peri

Synopsis

The Doctor and Peri visit the planet Targos Delta to check in on old friend Professor Albrecht Thompson, only to discover that he has vanished. He was last sighted taking a shuttle to the holiday resort of Paradise 5, then never seen again.

The Doctor's curiosity is piqued. They must investigate, but they must do so stealthily... Peri will go undercover on Paradise 5, while the Doctor hides in the shadows. Because paradise holds a terrible secret beneath the white marble and golden trimmings. The mute Cherubs have got a story to tell. And the Elohim are coming.

Beware.

Verdict

Paradise 5 was a very good audio adventure and a great Lost Story! I was very surprised to find that this was actually intended to be part of The Trial of a Time Lord and the introductory story for Mel as it was revamped so well and fitted in very well with the continuity of this first series of Lost Stories. Admittedly, I haven't quite listened to the stories in the correct order and I've spread them over a stupendously long time, but I liked that there were references to The Hollows of Time a lot. The theme of the Doctor going to meet an old friend and finding that they have gone missing isn't exactly a new thing but it is always something that provides a mystery. We didn't get to learn a huge amount about Albrecht Thompson and who he was, but the part three cliffhanger where it was revealed that he was actually now one of the Cherubs really shocked me. I didn't see it coming at all and I have to say I was very impressed with it! I always like a surprise and I definitely got one with that. The Doctor's reaction was good and I liked how he realised that it was also his old friend that had helped him earlier on in the story. The infiltration of Paradise 5 by the Doctor and Peri was good and I liked how the latter was forced to become a member of staff while the former got to just relax as a guest. That was good writing and precisely what I would expect of this incarnation of the Doctor. Colin Baker was superb once again as the Sixth Doctor. He really is quite an enchanting Doctor and that's a fantastic quality to have. Gabriel was a brilliant enemy and the calmness that went alongside his severity was really intriguing to listen to. I liked how the Elohim were constantly just referred to as 'they' and it showed you that we were dealing with something quite dangerous. I think more could have been made of the war they were fighting, particularly with it being fought in another dimension. I think there was some missed potential there, but the concept of the Cherubs and how they were people with around 75% of their mind and body removed was just horrific. The death of Albrecht Thompson as a Cherub was quite saddening and it was nice of Peri to comfort the Doctor about it and tell him how he would be better off. Stella and Bella were quite humorous characters and the difficulties in telling them apart despite them not being related was utilised well. I feared it was going to be overused but that was not the case. I liked the ending with Mr Winterbourne, a failed experiment of the Paradise Machine, conjuring the Serpent once more to take out the Elohim. The Doctor pondering over the death and purpose was quite a depressing note to end on, but it was something that needed to be addressed. War is never a just cause and I liked how that was pressed home. Peri wanting to show the Doctor a good time by taking him to Manhattan was nice and I liked how she wanted to take him somewhere for a change. The reference to The Chase was also a delightful little thrown in. Overall, a very good audio adventure!

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment