Sunday 24 November 2019

A Perfect World


"You're a version of me that never got anything wrong."

Writer: Jonathan Morris
Format: Audio
Released: September 2008
Series: Main Range 113b

Featuring: Fifth Doctor, Nyssa, Brewster

Synopsis

Who wouldn't want a perfect world? Thomas Brewster for one.

Verdict

A Perfect World was a fantastic little audio adventure! I was really impressed with this one and I was delighted because I actually nearly forgot all about it. That is the trouble with the Main Range releases at the point I'm at in my long-winded attempt to catch up as they are made up of three and one-part stories respectively. It's been well over a week since I listened to Time Reef now and I was almost tempted to go ahead and jump to Brotherhood of the Daleks, before a little lightbulb went off in my head that reminded me of this one. I loved it though! The idea of a perfect world is certainly interesting and I think it could easily be explored again. Perfection is something that sounds brilliant but in actuality, it wouldn't appear to be something great. Who wouldn't want to worry if they had their keys or if your phone was fully charged before an away day at the football? As referred to here, it is definitely the little things that make life. Expanding upon the ending of The Haunting of Thomas Brewster and having it known that Brewster had been somewhere else during his solo travels in the TARDIS was intriguing as I really didn't expect that, especially after the three-part story that is also part of this release. I did like how Brewster wanted to see 2008 because of what was seen during the events of The Boy That Time Forgot. That was really good continuity and I have really loved this little story arc with the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa. The gap between Time-Flight and Arc of Infinity is just getting bigger and bigger, but that's absolutely fine with me. I've really enjoyed Peter Davison's fifth incarnation during this spell of adventure and his annoyance and continued distain towards Brewster for the fact that he had travelled in his TARDIS by himself is wonderful. Had Brewster stuck around for longer, I would have been very keen for that to develop. Connie was a lovely little character and it was no surprise that Brewster was so smitten with her. I was surprised to find that he was so open about coming from the Victoria era and admired the London of 2008 without all of the smog. She took that in her stride as well which was nice and the chemistry between the two actors was obvious. There was a clear connection and I think that is very important when it comes to writing a companion, albeit a short one, out of the series. Nyssa wondering if he had perhaps made a mistake in leaving his space travels at the first opportunity was unsurprising, but the Doctor affirmed to her that he would have made a mistake if he continued alongside them. He had found what he wanted in life. What could possibly be better? I loved how the perfect world came about by existential plumbers. That was so much fun and I would fully approve of a future story where that could be used in an audio with a lot more time to play with. They were so dumb yet brilliant and that made it thoroughly entertaining. Overall, an excellent little audio adventure! Despite its quality, I do hope that this is the last of the three and one-part releases, but apparently there is no end in sight!

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment