Saturday 23 July 2016

The Catalyst


"I am no noble women."

Writer: Nigel Fairs
Format: Audio
Released: January 2008
Series: Companion Chronicles 2.04

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Leela

Synopsis 

The pride of the Z'nai matches that of Leela of the Sevateem. Why would the Doctor imprison one in such an unlikely place, and what terrors will be brought about by letting it loose?

Verdict 

The Catalyst was a very good Companion Chronicles audio and closed the second season of stories very nicely. This was my second successive story from the range and I must say it's very clear when listening how much things have changed between this story which is from season two and The Scorchies, which I blogged yesterday, which is in the latter stories of the seventh series. It still feels like they're treading the water on what they can do with the range and style of story but they still manage to tell a fantastic little adventure. Louise Jameson does a decent job as the narrator but I did feel that her impression of Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor could have been greatly improved. I know it's difficult for a female actor to impersonate a male, and vice versa, but it really didn't sound like she was trying at all. I found it interesting to be listening to this story whilst I'm in the midst of reading the epic, and extremely lengthy, Tom Baker interview in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine. Due to work and other commitments, I've only read the first two parts but I've found it very interesting to read how difficult the great man could be to work with. I thought some of the comments mentioned about Louise Jameson's thoughts were very intriguing as any uncomfortable feelings didn't come through on screen in their televised stories. One thing I must say though is that I absolutely agree with Baker's thoughts on religion and I love the way he ridiculed it. I bloody loved reading that I must admit. Religion is indeed poppy shit. His comments about women have been a little controversial though so I guess he evens himself out. Anyway, back to the story and it didn't seem a lot suited to the Fourth Doctor I must say. However, as contradiction and irony would have it, it was perfect for Leela with the honour that the Z'nai had. Leela would challenge that and mentioned her own tribe wonderfully. There were excellent references to The Face of Evil and The Invasion of Time but I think the thing that shocked me most about this audio adventure was the referencing of the Time War! I thought that was magnificent and I was actually amazed that Gallifrey was mentioned as a lost planet. I really like that this confirms that Leela survived the Time War and escaped from the planet prior to the actions of the Doctor in The Day of the Doctor. Her fate would not have been fatal but at least she wasn't trapped on the planet now. An older Leela telling the story was interesting but things didn't really seem to be told in flashback form. The early 20th century setting was great because it's just not suited at all for Leela to fit in. As my opening quote shows, she isn't a noble women at all. She mentions having killed for sport to the Z'nai but also makes sure that he knows she can defend herself as well which I really liked. Timothy Watson was a good actor alongside Jameson and I thought H'mbrackle was excellent. The way he was the image of which the rest of the species followed was quite disturbing but that's what it made great. The way the name of the story made sense with Leela being revealed as a carrier of the disease was marvellous and the way she didn't waste much time in using the disease on the Z'nai was good. The Doctor didn't seem too pleased but the same can be said of Leela when discovering his trophy room. Overall though, a very good audio adventure! 

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment