Monday 18 July 2016

Miracle Day: Immortal Sins


"I've got this friend, the Doctor. He explores the world with a companion. Looks nice..."

Writer: Jane Espenson 
Format: TV
Briadcast: 19th August 2011
Series: Torchwood 4.07

Featuring: Captain Jack, Gwen, Rex, Esther 

Synopsis 

Gwen must fight to protect her family. She takes a terrifying journey covering miles and decades with Jack as the long history of the Miracle is partially revealed...

Verdict 

Miracle Day: Immortal Sins was another great episode of this fantastic fourth series of Torchwood but despite possibly being the most insightful episode so far, it ironically receives my lowest rating of the series thus far. It was predominantly made up of a flashback to 1927 and a vital piece in the jigsaw that is the Miracle. When we were seeing what we were, it just seemed to be a look into the past for Jack and one of his what are sure to be many relationships. We saw a great deal of physical encounters between Jack and Angelo and I'm not going to lie I found it a little uncomfortable to watch at times. I turned my head away from the screen on more than one occasion as I'm sorry to say but sexual encounters between two men is not something I want to watch. This series of Torchwood seems so far away from the Doctor Who Universe but with the mentions in this episode it fully reminded us that is what this story is a part of. The beginnings of Jack and Angelo's relationship were good with the attempts to take a visa and get into New York City but then we saw too much of what I didn't want to see. The sexual moments between the pair took up too much of the episode for me and that's the main reason why it scored the lowest rating of the Miracle Day story so far. In saying that, it's still not a bad rating in the slightest. That just shows how good the series has been when it's disappointing episode is an 8/10. I'm not going to complain about that. The parts of the episode that were set in present day continued straight on from The Middle Men with Gwen arriving back in America and quickly doing as she was instructed through the lenses in bringing Jack to whoever was watching. The car journey east was intriguing and I loved how far Gwen was going to protect her daughter. The emotion was strong between the pair and it really brought Gwen's Torchwood adventure full circle. There were brilliant references to Everything Changes and Day One and I liked hearing how much Gwen loved being a part of Torchwood despite the death that surrounded them. She felt special and I really liked that. Angelo's reactions to Jack surviving being shot in the head was interesting and I found it ironic that he was so religious despite being in a homosexual relationship. I think religion is a load of rubbish and my studies of History are only strengthening that thought, but seeing Jack heralded as miraculous was interesting. The fact he was referred to as a blessing really struck a chord with me and I would think that the blessing that was referenced in regards to the Miracle is indicating Jack. He's massively connected now and we're getting closer to finding out what triggered it. People came and witnessed Jack repeatedly die and his blood was even bottled, something I think might be a part of how the Miracle occurred. The three men that struck a deal must also be involved somehow as they seem to be the origins of the mysterious triangle logo that has connected those behind the Miracle. It might appear that they were angered by Jack's killing of the brain parasite but I don't think that was the case. We did get magnificent references to the Doctor having companions and the Trickster's Brigade though, making fantastic mentions of both Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures. Just when it seemed that Jack might die, and a mysterious women emerged as the one behind Gwen's contact lenses, the upper hand soon turned in Torchwood's favour. Esther once again showed how wonderful she was and along with Rex they put Torchwood in the driving seat. Jack wouldn't be dying today but he would soon be finding out about the Miracle. It would appear the man behind it was incredibly Angelo. Just how that's possible, I'm not sure. But I can't wait to find out! Overall, another great episode but despite a fantastic reference to Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways and an insightful story, the sexual scenes were just too much to get a higher rating.

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment