Tuesday 24 May 2016

Lunar Lagoon


"Nice day for a war, isn't it?"

Writer: Steve Parkhouse 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: May-June 1983
Printed in: DWM 76-77

Featuring: Fifth Doctor

Synopsis 

The Doctor, seeking rest and recuperation from his trials on Gallifrey, had landed on an island in the South Pacific... and now found himself in the middle of World War II!

Verdict 

Lunar Lagoon was a very good comic strip adventure and continued along the excellent The Tides of Time graphic novel in fantastic fashion. I really have been impressed with the four stories thus far in the graphic novel and I like how each of them is clearly its own standalone adventure, but seems to follow directly on from the last comic strip. I think that's an excellent direction to go in and I must admit, I do hope the current run of Twelfth Doctor comic strips in Doctor Who Magazine return to having an overlapping story arc. Every story just seems so separate which is a shame because I think story arcs are perfect for comics and that's what should happen. It has happened for just about every other Doctor so I'm actually rather baffled why it hasn't happened yet for Peter Capaldi's incarnation of the Time Lord. It was just illustrated so well here with the Fifth Doctor. Just a little reference to The Stockbridge Horror in the brief recap at the start of part two really did make a difference and brought that connection between the two stories that were printed either side of each other. It's not a lot, but it has a big impact. I'm really enjoying Steve Parkhouse's writing of the Fifth Doctor and he once again got his characterisation down to a tee. He really has captured the likeness of Peter Davison with ease which is just wonderful when it comes to reading his comic strips. I think I've mentioned in my blogging of earlier stories from this graphic novel that technically there is no point at which these stories should be able to exist, but who's to say that companions of the Doctor aren't just resting in the TARDIS? As I stated in my recently blogged Twelfth Doctor stories, story placement isn't all that important if the story is a good one. And I'm happy to report that once again we had a good one. The Doctor fishing was an interesting move but I like how he was after some relaxation following his eventful occurrences with Rassilon. I get the feeling that it won't be the last encounter but for now he had to deal with the threat of a lone Japanese soldier! I liked the historical aspect of the story although after having an exam today and then coming back to more revision for another exam, as part of a History degree, this story was a nice relief for me this evening. Tomorrow is the last day of revision which is just wonderful to say, even more so by the fact that I don't have exams next year! But the other work will increase so that could mean less blogging next year which is a great shame. However, I'm on an impressive daily run and I'm on track to complete my first complete month of stories since August of last year. The irony of that occurring during exam sesson will be something I look back on with laughter in the future. I liked Fuji as a character in this story and I thought it was excellent how dangerous just one soldier could be. If a soldier was on his own then he was likely to be desperate which makes him incredibly dangerous. I thought there were still some questions that needed answering after this story finished which was a shame with the appearance of Americans and aircraft from the war showing up in 1983. They sadly did not arrive. I loved the ending though with Fuji dying at the hands of an American because he was made defenceless by the Doctor taking his bullets. The Doctor trying to justify his actions seems to a recurrent theme in this graphic novel and I love it. His morals really are being challenged which is just magnificent. Overall, another good story!

Rating: 8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment