Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Then and the Now Part 2


"You can't kill it because that's not what we do."

Writers: Si Spurrier & Rob Williams
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 7th April 2016
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 05

Featuring: Eleventh Doctor, Alice, Squire, Abslom Daak

Synopsis 

On the run from a devastating time-monster that gives the Doctor unpleasant memories about the Time War, he is soon reunited with Abslom Daak but he's in no mood to be friendly. There is a bounty on the Doctor's head, but can he prevent creating the Malignant and save history?

Verdict 

The Then and the Now concluded in a very good way with this excellent second part! It also kicked off the second year of Eleventh Doctor comic strip adventures (in complete fashion that is) and I think it's fair to say that this year is going to be very different to what we got with year one. Although in saying that I can already see some very clear similarities between the years as it looks like the Squire and Abslom Daak are here to stay, just as Jones and ARC did last year. I'm not sure what to make of that at this point and I'll of course give them a few stories before judging but I honestly did think this second year would just be the Eleventh Doctor and Alice. It was something I was looking forward to but it seems the writers that control this Doctor's comic strip adventures are adamant on a TARDIS team of four! I like the idea of the Squire coming from the Doctor's past during the Time War and remembering all about the War Doctor but the Doctor not remembering a scooby about him. I'm sure the reasoning will be revealed before year two is out and I think possible hints about his past could be intriguing. I hope that means some more cameos for the War Doctor because I really like the idea of a future Doctor having to deal with the consequences of the incarnation of himself the Doctor so desperately wants to forget. We obviously weren't able to witness any of that on television so exploring it in these comic strips is an excellent direction to go. I get the feeling that the events of this story could form another year arc similar to what we had with SERVEYOUinc last time around as there is still the bounty on the Doctor's head and the Then and the Now wasn't really destroyed and even then the Doctor seemed to just make things worse by trying to prevent the creation of the Malignant. There's just so much unfinished business that I'll be amazed if we don't get a return to the events of this story at some point during the year two run. This was actually my first story to feature Abslom Daak as I haven't managed to purchase the Nemesis of the Daleks graphic novel yet which is where I believe all of his stories are printed but I must say he was completely bonkers. I know him as being called a Dalek hunter and he did mention that but I like how the Time War seems to have provided a shortage on Daleks available to kill. It's good that he wants to avenge the death of his wife although I'm none the wiser as to why he's carrying her around in a great big box. Maybe it's too hard for him to let her go? I really don't know. I'll have to try and get buying and reading the graphic novel but I have The Tides of Time to get through first as well as other commitments. I'll get there eventually though and I'm sure that when I do my understanding will be much better. Alice was pretty good here and she just seemed to be concerned by all the danger that was occurring. The Doctor's reaction to her asking about the Daleks was magnificent and he really seemed like he doesn't want her to meet them. I do wonder when they'll make an appearance in this comic. It's surely inevitable. The Doctor calling out odds on the identity of the great killer that the Malignant sacrifice ceremony attendees were chanting was brilliant and I thought 5/1 on the Master was a decent price! The ending was a surprise with things not completely solved but that leaves the rest of the year open. Overall, some surprises and a good start to the second year! 

Rating: 8/10






No comments:

Post a Comment