Saturday 16 April 2016

Rise of the Cybermen


"Skin of metal and a body that will never age or die."

Writer: Tom MacRae
Format: TV
Broadcast: 13th May 2006
Series: 2.05

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Rose, Mickey

Synopsis 

On a parallel Earth, a deadly new version of the Doctor's old enemy is about to be reborn. John Lumic is experimenting on humans to ensure the survival of the brain... and he creates the Cybermen. With the TARDIS powerless and Mickey running into trouble, can the Doctor prevent the Cybermen from wiping out the residence party at the Tyler family home?

Verdict 

Rise of the Cybermen was an excellent episode and it really has kicked off the return of the Cybermen to the modern series in great style. The Cybermen weren't really present until the climax and lead in to the cliffhanger but they were always hinted at and I really enjoyed some of the subtle hints that I noticed more because I have seen this episode more than once before so it is familiar to me but I was just yet to give it to the blogging treatment. I've actually surprised myself with how much of the Tenth Doctor I have been watching and I think I might need to slow down a tad before I run out of stories! I will of course be watching the second episode tomorrow as I always complete a two part story over two days but after that I think my television watching needs to be restricted to the Classic era as there are so many that I am yet to give my blogged verdict on. I'm looking forward to that but there are also quite a few audios and comic strips that I'm excited about doing soon. Anyway, back to this episode and I liked how it was set on a parallel Earth. It gives a different perspective to the Cybermen and I think actually seeing the homeless people get recruited and then ultimately upgraded into Cybermen really drove home the fact that these were at one point human beings. The Classic series mentioned that but we never really saw it on screen. It has occurred more on the audios with Spare Parts and The Harvest and I particularly liked the influence that came from the former, so much so that its author got a mention in the closing credits. There were quite a few similarities but I think the fact it was set on what we recognised as modern day Earth was what made the Cybermen so effective. It's different to anything we've seen before with them and that works really well. The parallel Earth setting provided some excellent moments with the comedic arrival surrounding the zeppelins and the fact the UK had a president and not a prime minister. It was also good that we saw Pete again as in this universe not only had he survived but his drinks were a huge success. The reference to Father's Day was very good and I also liked that Tooth and Claw got a nice mention. The inclusion of the Torchwood season arc was done very cleverly and I imagine that on broadcast it wouldn't really have been picked up because it was so insignificant but watching back now I can just sit and smile at its inclusion. The relationship between Pete and Jackie was quite shaky which was a shame to see, especially with Rose seeing her parents together for the first real time as she knows them. I thought Billie Piper looked incredible as a waitress but as well as looking spectacular she was lovely in wanting her parallel parents to work things out. Jackie didn't agree and was displeased but it was at this moment that disaster was about to strike on her birthday. After the President had refused John Lumic's request to upgrade humans into Cybermen, he decided to crash the party with the very things he was forbade to create. Despite the efforts of Mickey, Ricky and the rest of the Preachers, the Cybermen had arrived. They crashed the party in epic style and I must express how much I love this design. I'm not too keen on the current design that was introduced with Silver Nemesis as I think they're just too small and I don't quite have the fear factor that is on show here. The assassination of the President showed that they meant business though and after killing many other attendees, they soon surrounded the Doctor and co. They decided they were rogue elements and incompatible. They would be deleted. Just how would a TARDISless and weaponless Doctor get out of this situation? I guess I'll find out tomorrow which is where the rating will come. 





1 comment:

  1. Grand return for the Cybermen.
    Lumic was a grand one. A Cyberman version of Davros to the Daleks.
    The Cybermen look better than the Earthshock ones. More chylling with their headbone-theme heads. Their entrance was very awing, espeically the voices fitting them being scary and the Doctor recognising them.
    The Doctor's reaction help enhance. A way to remind us he's the same man. Instead of asking who they were, he recognises them and reacts with horror.
    The President was a very nice man. He stood up to Lumic, objecting coz removing emotions be monstrous. Made his murder much sadder, and help show the Cybermen lack mercy and meant buisness. And the reaction help. It hurts enough being slain with pellets and blades, but electro-shocks burns.. very torturous.

    ReplyDelete