Saturday 9 April 2016

Doctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster


"All resistance will be crushed. We shall change the destiny of Earth!" 

Writer: Terrance Dicks
Format: Novel
Released: January 1976
Series: Target 40

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Sarah, Harry

Synopsis 

Why is Doctor Who suddenly summoned to the shores of Loch Ness? Terror and panic spread as the third oil rig is smashed into the sea by a mysterious force... the monster? The controlling power must be the Zygons - alien creatures who have lived hidden on Earth for thousands of years, and now feel strong enough to take over the planet... the Doctor, Sarah and UNIT have different ideas - but can they outwit the supreme cunning of the ruthless Zygons?

Verdict 

Doctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster was an excellent novelisation and one I enjoyed reading on the usual train journey home from mid Wales to South Wales. I'm not sure if my reading has quickened (it certainly doesn't feel like it) or whether the last two particular Targets I have read have been shorter than average, but just like with my reading of Death to the Daleks I seemed to absolutely whizz through this novel and had it finished nearly an hour before my journey ended. That left me with a bit of time to read some DWM which was nice but I honestly expected this novelisation to last the duration of my time on the train. I was very surprised I must admit. The fact I'm reading Targets quicker will hopefully convince me to read more of them when I'm not travelling but it probably isn't helped by the fact that I've just purchased the new UNIT: Extinction audio boxset along with the Prisoners of Time comic strip collection that celebrated the fiftieth anniversary. It's fair to say I'm putting my student finance money to good use! Who needs food when you can buy things like that? Terror of the Zygons is a very good television adventure but despite my liking of it (it gets the same rating on tv as the novelisation does here) I think it is probably the most overrated story to date. The Zygons seem to be why the story is so immensely popular but they don't really do anything and that was captured once again in print here. I thought the Zygons were much better in Sting of the Zygons and The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion because they were more active. The concept behind them is tremendous and one I once again enjoyed on display in this novel but I don't understand why it received the reputation that it has. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy it and I think that after a successful run alongside the Third Doctor, the Brigadier and co at UNIT being reunited with the Fourth Doctor was something that always should have happened soon after Robot and I'm glad that it did occur just a season later. The characterisation of Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor was very good and the style of writing by Terrance Dicks was impeccable as always. He really is the master at Doctor Who novelisations and I always seem to favour the books written by him when it comes to picking my next story. He really is magnificent. He does a stellar job in characterising Sarah here and I liked how easily he seemed to portray that she was a journalist. You got the impression that she was keen to learn and that's exactly what she was with her journalistic instincts still very active despite having been travelling with the Doctor since The Time Warrior, some time ago by this story's placement. Harry's role seemed to be less than what it was on television which was intriguing because it really didn't feel like he had done much until around the halfway point of the story. He was characterised very well indeed and his decision to stay on Earth and depart the TARDIS was done with class at the conclusion of the novel. I loved how the Doctor seemed disappointed by Sarah having to think about whether she wanted to stay travelling in the TARDIS or not. There was a humorous reference to The Three Doctors from the Brigadier and I love how he gets characterised pretty much perfectly every time. He's a marvellous character and I really must push on with the Lethbridge-Stewart novels as I'm yet to start. Naming the novelisation after the Loch Ness Monster seems surprising because the Skarasen doesn't do a great deal but I think in terms of selling points it's a wonderful title for a story. I guess the plot does focus around the creature because it's vital to the Zygons in order to stay alive but it just seems to swim for most of the story! The plot was decent and we had some good guest characters like Huckle and the Duke, but the Zygons get remembered from this story and I'm glad they shone on their post revival returns. They are brilliant and this story introduces us to them in a decent way. Overall, a very good novelisation! 

Rating: 8/10








No comments:

Post a Comment