Thursday 5 February 2015

The Instruments of War Part 3


"The fate of this world, probably the balance of power in this corner of the galaxy, depends on what we do tonight."

Writer: Mike Collins 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 5th February 2015
Printed in: DWM 483

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis 

As the Warsong's power increases under Rutan control, their quest to weaponise the planet comes into fruition. Can the Doctor and the Sontarans prevent an imbalance the universe has never experienced before?

Verdict 

The Instruments of War concluded in brilliant style with this third and final instalment that was released with today's Doctor Who Magazine! After the story was set in superb motion in the first two parts, I loved the action packed style of the conclusion. I know the Sontarans and the Rutan were appearing in visual Doctor Who together (I believe for the first time ever) but the amount of destruction and devastation was quite unbelievable. Though, judging from the declaration at the end of part two I guess I should have expected something like this. The Warsong's function was to weaponise the entire planet after all, using literally anything and everything. I thought it was a little bit of anti-climax that after a great big cliffhanger, we're told the Warsong takes time to collect all the resources needed to weaponise the whole planet. There's no doubt it was believable and logical but I was hoping for immediate danger! Bruckner was once again a superb villain though I do wish the Sontarans were given centre stage as the enemies of the comic adventure! I was so utterly thrilled when I flicked the page and saw that the Sontarans were back in part one but they haven't quite returned to the ways that made them one of my favourite enemies in the Classic series. The revival has seen them represented as good guys really which just isn't the right direction for the warriors of Sontar! Don't get me wrong, I love Strax and I don't mind him as a comical exception but here the Sontarans aided the Doctor in stopping the Warsong, even if it was against the Rutans and in the belief that they'd have it as theirs to use for themselves. The Doctor breaking that need to them was superb. I loved his reaction to seeing that Clara was with Bruckner. After him expressively telling her to stay put, where else would she be? His use of the term 'they' was wonderful as it implied that she wasn't the first companion to explicitly disobey his instructions, and I'm sure she won't be the last. The action packed finish was outstanding and I love how the unlimited budget of comic strips was able to give us a real party piece of the Warsong's obliteration taking Bruckner and the Sontarans with it. The ending was rather nice too with the Doctor delivering on his promise of taking Clara to the Frost Fair in 1641. Those two really are made for each other. As a whole, this story has been fantastic and certainly an improvement from The Eye of Torment! In the early stages of these Twelfth Doctor comic strips, it's clear that the format is in safe hands! 

Rating: 9/10




No comments:

Post a Comment