Friday 20 February 2015

Rory's Adventure


"The transmat gateway was glowing brighter than ever. And framed within it, an army of the reptilian creatures in full battle armour faded into existence."

Writer: Justin Richards 
Format: Short Story
Released: September 2010
Printed in: Doctor Who Annual 2011

Featuring: Eleventh Doctor, Amy, Rory

Synopsis 

The Doctor wants a little break from Amy and Rory to recalibrate the TARDIS. So he takes them to Spaceport One - the ultimate shopping destination. But when a Reptilodon baker accuses a young boy of theft, things get messy for Rory.

Verdict

Rory's Adventure was a very good little short story! Is this getting a little out of hand now? This is the second Annual story I've praised this week! Now that certainly is a rarity on the highest scale. I loved how this story intertwined with Amy's Escapade and resolved unanswered questions from that short story, making this the better of the two in my opinion. I wasn't sure of Justin Richards' decision to use pretty much exactly the same paragraph to open both stories but I stole it for my synopsis section so I guess I can't criticise too much! Though for two separate stories, despite them taking place simultaneously and forming the overall plot, copy and pasting is maybe a step too far. I can get away with it because I'm just a blogger. He's the bloody writer! Nonetheless, I did think this was very good. It was nice how Amy was mentioned here, not by name, and from that we knew that in Amy's Escapade the man that the boy was told to run off of was actuay Rory! They'd split up to explore the Spaceport shopping complex but both had been lured to the bakery - just at the different entrances! Rory though got a bit too involved it seemed as he activated the transmat device a little too early bringing the Reptilidon invasion army in sooner than they wanted. It actually helped to knock them off guard and would bring their downfall at the hands of the Judoon. I liked how the boy was encouraged to run just as Mystan realised that a doughnut had been stolen. Why Rory that was a good idea I'm not too sure. If a great big green reptile is accusing someone of robbery I'd have thought the worst thing to would be run! Why draw attention to yourself? Things just about turned out okay for Rory and although unknowingly, I love how he and Amy thwarted the Reptilidon invasion plans. The scene with the Doctor in the TARDIS was very humorous and I love how it was he who stole the doughnut in the first place! He'd set quite a few chains into action by doing that! But overall, a good plot as I mentioned in the story this is intertwined with. A great adventure for Rory, confining on from his wife's escapade! A very clever and unique idea. 

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment