Monday 2 February 2015

Me and My Shadow


"Millions of people following a disgusting little man with a Charlie Chaplin moustache... that's mad."

Writer: Scott Gray 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: June 2002
Printed in: DWM 318

Featuring: Fey

Synopsis 

Austria. 1941. The Nazis have invaded and are after some crucial documentation for the war effort. But one women, a women who has travelled in space and time, stands in their way.

Verdict 

Me and My Shadow was a splendid comic strip adventure to continue along my reading of the Oblivion graphic novel rather nicely. I loved the setting of Austria in 1941 with a Nazi attack! I'm currently studying Nazi Germany as part of my History A-Level so I love any appearance of a historical figure but here we had a whole bunch of Nazis! With it only being a one part comic strip, they weren't as effective as the Nazis that appeared extensively in Colditz but I still liked it. The determination to gain some important documentation from leaving the country was good though I would like to have known why it was significant to the war effort of Germany. This story served as my introduction to Fey, a woman who I later learned (and did guess) was a former companion of the Eighth Doctor within the comic strips. I liked her. I really liked her in this outing. She was just playing with the Nazis! After someone close to her had died and been fed to the dogs of the Nazis, quite literally, she'd had enough. As the comic strip is so brilliantly titled, she was in conversation with her... well, shadow. Shayde was intriguing and I do hope an appearance was made in the past! Judging from what went on I'm confident he did as a past story was seemingly referenced. It just seems like I need to do some catching up on previous Eighth Doctor comic strips! I guess I'll have to wap out some more cash to purchase earlier volumes. After Izzy was kidnapped at the climax of the previous story Children of the Revolution, it seems like the Doctor is extremely angry and is seeking help from those close to him to go and find her. Well, that's my assumption anyway. It's all very A Good Man Goes to War like. I found it mightily strange that Fey apparently often received signals from Rassilon himself. She must be somebody very important! I do look forward to discovering more about her character and seeing her relationship with the Doctor. But it seems the direction of this graphic novel is now pretty simple - find Izzy and explain that she is not Destrii! It was rather short at one part long so not too much more can be said but I simply have to mention how incredibly brilliant my chosen quote is! Absolutely sublime and that's a moment from the story I simply loved. Overall, a great personal introduction to Fey for myself and she looks like a companion I'm really going to enjoy. I look forward to delving into her original stories but for now, let's see how she helps the Doctor in the pursuit of Izzy.

Rating: 8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment