Friday 27 February 2015

Revolutions of Terror Part 1


"Hello, I'm the Doctor. Can I help? I usually can. I'm gifted that way."

Writer: Nick Abadzis 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 26th February 2015
Printed in: Doctor Who Comic #1

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Gabby

Synopsis 

It can be wonderful to explore all of time and space at the Doctor's side, but the universe can also be a dark and dangerous place - as the Doctor's most recent companion, Donna Noble, found to her cost. Forced to leave her behind, the Doctor has since been wandering alone. But no matter how far he travels, or for how long, something always brings him back to Earth...

Verdict

You'd better get used to this over the coming months now as here we are with the third comic strip blog entry in a row and also the third comic strip to be re-blogged! Of course, that's because of the fantastic newly released Doctor Who Comic from Titan Comics where us UK residents aren't being left behind from those in the States with these comics. They may be a few issues ahead of us across the pond but as long as we're given the opportunity to purchase this new trio collection of comics featuring the three latest incarnations of the Doctor then I'm more than happy. I just hope that my local WH Smith continues to sell them as when I bought my copy, which I couldn't resist despite having copies of the American released comics, it was the only issue in store and it was only 10am! I do hope to see more issues of #2 in just under three weeks time but as long as I get a copy, even if it's the only one in store, I'm more than happy. I'm convinced issue number 3 will be my favourite because that's where I'll get two brand new stories from my perspective as I only managed two US issues of the Twelfth and Eleventh Doctor range. Arguably, this introductory part is my favourite of the three and I think that's all down to Gabby. I could tell upon first reading that me and her were going to get along marvellously. She's young, probably good looking had she been based off an actress and I like the possibility of her being feisty with her Mexican background and clear problems with her family. I liked the extensive background we were given to Gabby and I thought it was a much better introduction than Alice was given in After Life, even though that was good. Gabby immediately seems suited to the Tenth Doctor and she only met him on the very last page! The New York setting is obviously good - it's almost impossible for it not to be! Just look at the stories that have taken place in the city. Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, The Angels Take Manhattan and even some parts of The Chase! Having been to the city that never sleeps, I can tell from my experience of visiting there that it's just an amazing place. The only place I've been to that's topped it is Kraków and that's due to my love of History. I liked how the New York setting was on a much more basic level here. The main focus was a laundromat and a restaurant whereas in the aforementioned revival TV stories, the focus was very much on the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty, respectively. I liked how this was much more down to earth and for the American readers, particularly any young females, I'm sure they could relate to Gabby with her resenting her father because he had her doing two jobs on top of a college course! Gabby really didn't seem to be enjoying Accounting at all though! I guess that's where I can't relate to Gabby sadly as I'm studying Accounts at A-Level and I really do love it! The looming of Halloween and the Mexican Day of the Dead festival surely spells recipe for disaster in a Doctor a Who story! We know something haunted and spooky is coming. The first appearance of the Cerebravore was good though I wasn't overly struck on the appearance. Gabby's grandmother seeing her dead husband in torment must have been horrifying and I liked how things got interesting once Hector claimed to have seen the devil. I get the feeling that from this first story we'll see quite a bit of Gabby's family during her inevitable time in the TARDIS. I must say I did like Blanca! The Doctor himself was captured character wise perfectly and it's clear he's missing Donna after the emotional events of Journey's End. The cliffhanger to this on the subway was superb with the moment Gabby becoming companion closing the issue. She took the Doctor's hand, and in that moment her life had changed forever. Overall, a great introductory part for the story and Gabby! As ever, the rating will come in the blog entry of the final part of the story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment