Thursday 10 October 2019

The Coup


"Tower Bridge is missing a tower!"

Writer: Simon Guerrier
Format: Audio
Released: December 2004
Series: UNIT 1.00

Featuring: Brigadier

Synopsis

LONDON, THE NEAR FUTURE: UNIT is finished. The UK Division prepares to cede its authority to a new organisation... But who is attempting to sabotage the hand-over?

Verdict

The Coup was a very interesting little audio adventure which serves as a lead-in to the spinoff series of audios that will follow on this blog over the next four days! I have always been interested in this series because of its release date and knowing that it slightly precedes the debut of modern Doctor Who in Rose, would it have any tie ins? We of course have the link to the organisation we would see so often during the Classic era with our old favourite Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, strangely referred to here as a General, delivering a speech intended for ICIS to take over the daily proceedings of UNIT. The idea of that is a good one and I think it would form a good basis for the spinoff series because it is so obvious that it is not going to end well and that they are there to do good. One thing I struggle a little to buy into for this audio though is the very idea that UNIT's UK Division would cede their control to another organisation. Now, I'm willing to let it slide because I haven't even got into the series itself yet, but that is definitely something I'm hoping gets answered. I'm also praying that the Brigadier has a big role in the series as he's such a wonderful and likeable character and seeing him post-Battlefield and in the 21st century is something I would absolutely love to hear. The change in the speech from the Brigadier (regardless of what he's referred to throughout this story, I will always call him the Brig) was excellent and I liked the problems it posed for the UNIT-ICIS merger. The plan to hide the destruction of Tower Bridge was quite humorous given how much of a major landmark that is and the cover up being London's drivers was a rather weak one I thought. That wasn't an issue with the story though and I like the idea very much of UNIT coming into the public eye, particularly the organisation at a time somewhere between the Classic and modern eras of Doctor Who. The inclusion of the Silurians and an attempt to broker a peace between humanity and their ancient species is a great idea and I love that the Brigadier is brokering that peace after his despicable actions in Doctor Who and the Silurians. I'm sure the Doctor would now be proud! The references to the likes of The Invasion, The Claws of Axos and Terror of the Zygons were fantastic and I find it a little humorous that the press and everyone watching shouldn't really know what they were so the words might not mean anything. But to us fans it means a lot! I'd love to know just when the Quarks were dealt with by UNIT too as that is a story, should it exist, I have yet to come across which is a shame. The Brigadier introducing the Ambassador to the press was intriguing and the aftermath of what will come is something I'm very interested to hear next. Will there possibly be a relationship between humanity and the Silurians? I do kind of hope so for the dynamic it would bring. The adventure as a whole was interesting and a good setup for what's to come and I'm looking forward to a full adventure of a 21st century UNIT that precedes the modern series. Overall, a good lead in.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment