Saturday 24 August 2019

The Power of the Mobox Part 3


"Free to claim justice!"

Writer: Scott Gray
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 22nd August 2019
Printed in: DWM 542

Featuring: Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Ryan, Graham

Synopsis

The Thirteenth Doctor is determined to find what's really going on in Hubtown. Ryan is on a mission to save his friends and discover the truth of the magna storms and wants to find just who is controlling the magna storms. And just how powerful are the Mobox?

Verdict

The Power of the Mobox concluded in very good style with this terrific third and final part! I thought this was definitely the best of the three parts and meant that things finished on a very high note. Now, onto the magazine itself and after a fantastic issue detailing the serials of Christopher Barry, this looks set to be another very good issue. The Writing Talk features focusing on the different eras of Doctor Who is something I'm really intrigued by and I look very much forward to reading. The Robots of Ravolox also looks set to be a good feature and I think Bonnie Langford being the subject of the Out of the TARDIS interview should be terrific! And there's always good things to come from Eric Saward so I look forward to reading his interview, particularly after recently reading his Resurrection of the Daleks novelisation. The usual features of Gallifrey Guardian and Galaxy Forum rarely disappoint and I think it's about time now that I write into the latter again. I've never failed to be printed but I haven't sent anything in since the broadcast of The Woman Who Fell to Earth so I think it might be time. Anyway, back to the comic strip finale and I really liked the pace. I think it did help that I knew things were ending, but with the relatively recent decrease in the number of pages Doctor Who Magazine devotes to its comic strips, there has been something of a tendency to rush things towards the end and that just leads to a weak resolution which is never wanted and never a good thing. Thankfully, that didn't quite happen here and we got the ending we deserved. I thought the Doctor was terrific in this part and it was great to have her travelling alone. She does get to shine momentarily without the companions and she had played Rodney along with absolute ease. She couldn't quite believe what she found with the Mobox being harnessed of their power and she vowed to end everything along with Rodney. All because he was laughing in a situation like that. I thought that was a brilliant moment and she was pretty much disgusted by his actions. The sudden shift in character for Rodney was intriguing and I definitely didn't see it coming, but it worked well and more than gave the Doctor a reason to stop things in their tracks. Ryan being the one to save Yaz and Graham from being incinerated by the artificial mag-storm was good and quite humorous given that he referred to his phone as a weapon from Vulcan! The Doctor soon fixed things and freed the Mobox from captivity and torment, but to ensure there was no further bloodshed she turned off the gravity and turned everyone into balloons. You couldn't stay angry whilst floating. I thought that was pretty funny and a good way to end what was a good comic strip story!

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment