Saturday 31 August 2019

The Anti-Hero


"They believed it, and so it felt as if they were."

Writer: Stella Duffy
Format: Short Story
Released: December 2014
Series: Time Trips 08

Featuring: Second Doctor, Jamie, Zoe

Synopsis

Arriving at the ancient Museum of Alexandria, the Doctor is keen to explore. He might find some new recorder music, and Jamie might discover a new porridge recipe, while Zoe will love the antiquated ideas about astrophysics. But once inside, they all find rather more than they bargained for, and it soon becomes clear they may never leave the Museum alive...

Verdict

The Anti-Hero was another pretty decent story to continue my reading through the Time Trips series! I was delighted to have an adventure with the Second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe as they really are one of my all time favourite TARDIS teams and their characterisation and relationship definitely didn't disappoint. Something I should mention though is the fact that I am reading the anthology hardcover book of the Time Trips from my local library and despite finding the final and 'hidden' adventure on the insert cover, because of the seal and lamination in place from the library I can't read it! Thankfully, I found out that the said story was reprinted in The Triple Knife so I'll be on track to retrieve that and complete the series tomorrow. For now though, I was taken to Alexandria and I thought the setting was very good with the primary focus on the Museum and the Zoo. There was some humour concerning which entrance they were at, but I actually really enjoyed the moments in the TARDIS before they arrived. The Doctor and Zoe's reactions to Jamie playing the bagpipes was fantastic and I just loved the little moments they all got to share together. It was delightful. The Doctor inferring that he had two hearts without mentioning it as confirmed was good and some clever writing considering where the story is placed in Doctor Who's chronology. Once the trio had arrived at Alexandria, they were all very excited at what they could discover. Zoe's desire for knowledge, and all of it, was delightful but I wasn't such a fan of Jamie finding a porridge recipe. I can appreciate he's not as intelligent as the Doctor or Zoe, but that was a little derisory for my liking. The outburst he had when under the effect of the Muses about a lost love was quite unexpected though and I liked the stunned reactions of his friends. Zoe too was affected by their abilities but it was the Doctor who was perhaps worst hit as he fell into a fit of uncontrollable laughter. Just imaging Patrick Troughton rolling around on the floor in infectious laughter was a nice thought I had to say. I can certainly imagine him pulling it off. The arrival of Hero into the story was good and I liked how he was predominantly concerned with the Doctor. Little did he know what Zoe was up to though! His desire to bring the Muses to life with human hearts was horrifying and his attempt of justifying it by saying that he brought immortality was frightening. It could have been a little more impactful for my liking, but I did think the Doctor's disgust improved things. Jamie was the next victim but Zoe brought the instrument that was a combined flute and recorder and played it just in time, bringing the real Muses to Alexandria. How Hero was belittled was fantastic and ended things on a high note. Zoe's struggle throughout to not reveal some truth to the science the locals were studying was humorous but well in line with her character. One thing I didn't like was the use of chapters – eleven of them! – in a story that was less than forty pages long. It broke things up too much and took away from the pace of the adventure which was a shame. Overall though, a decent story regardless.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment