Saturday 10 August 2019

The Drosten's Curse


"I couldn't wait to be the monster's breakfast."

Writer: A. L. Kennedy
Format: Novel
Released: July 2015
Series: BBC PDA 03

Featuring: Fourth Doctor

Synopsis

"I shall make you the jewel at the heart of the universe."

Something distinctly odd is going on in Arbroath. It could be to do with golfers being dragged down into the bunkers at the Fetch Brothers' Golf Spa Hotel, never to be seen again. It might be related to the strange twin grandchildren of the equally strange Mrs Fetch – owner of the hotel and fascinated with octopuses. It could be the fact that people in the surrounding area suddenly know what others are thinking, without anyone saying a word.

Verdict

The Drosten's Curse was a great novel and something I did not expect! So soon after reading The Death Pit, I find that this book is actually an extended version of the same adventure. I really didn't see that coming and I am so happy that I read them in this order. The first quarter of this story was pretty much the aforementioned Time Trip extended with only a few additions, but then we went in a strange new direction that expanded deeply on the original story. I thought the continued obsession of Julia Fetch with octopuses (or octopods) was excellent and it really did add to the allure of her mysterious nature. She was an intriguing character, but something I found interesting about this version of the story was how far removed she was from her grandchildren. The twins of Honor and Xavier were very weird throughout and I liked that it was revealed they were a defence mechanism of the Bah-Sohkar. That wasn't much of a surprise but it was a nice little development to have. I really enjoyed getting to meet Bryony all over again and she really was just as magnificent as the first version of the story. I absolutely love her and I would be so happy if she became a companion at some point, even if just for a little bit. I was less disappointed with her fate in this book though as she and Putta went on to have a purpose to ensure that there was no more Bah-Sohkar incidents in Arbroath or the vicinity in the future. The way that great monster was revealed to have arrived in a white sphere, not too dissimilar to a golf ball, was a nice touch and a very good way to link back to the Fetch Hotel initial setting. Bryony having to deal with Mangold again was good and I liked how she was desperate to save his life when the Bah-Sokhar caught onto her thoughts of disliking him and wanted to rectify that. The use of thought in this book was really good and I loved the issues that caused to everyday people in Arbroath. I liked those little passages in the book as it showed that the story was having an impact on everyday people. The Doctor being frightened was also an important aspect I enjoyed but his relationship with Bryony and Putta made everything relaxed. They made a wonderful team. I thought the latter couple finally getting together was brilliant and I really liked their contrasting moments in the TARDIS. Bryony was sadly less impressed with her would-be boyfriend's ship but she soon liked the idea of travelling all snug with him through the stars. Peter Junior being the one who wanted to be the jewel at the heart of the universe was an unexpected and sudden turn of events, but I liked what came of it. The monster being defeated by love was somewhat similar to the original story and I've had liked a bit more of a twist there. I was again surprised that the Doctor didn't perhaps mention the possibility of them joining him in the TARDIS but I do understand that the pair had a purpose now. They were crucial. The use of the Doctor in the story itself was very good with the Bah-Sokhar wanting him to be its master as it had the best mind, and I was also a little surprised by the line where it was stated that there were planets of dead of people who trusted the Doctor. That seemed a bit harsh! He didn't want death. Regardless, this was still a very good and enjoyable book.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment