Tuesday 2 July 2019

The Cybermen


"We will survive."

Writer: Alan Barnes
Format: Comic Strip
Released: August 1994 - May 1996, September 2016
Printed in: DWM 215-238, 504

Featuring: The Cybermen

Synopsis

Mondas. The Lizard Kings rule the planet. But, they're just a myth? Right? The Cybermen's birth has many stories and origins. Does it involve ancient reptiles? Who or what is Golgoth? How will the Seer play a role? The truth is distorted, but the Cybermen must survive.

Verdict

The Cybermen was a very fascinating read and a very good start to my reading of The Clockwise War graphic novel! This will sadly be the last recent release that I'll be able to get from Bristol Library and whilst I won't be revising the titular story, I am delighted to get to read some of these intriguing and mysterious stories, many of which I had no idea about! I have heard of this story before though but I had no idea it was over so many single parts. That format was incredibly pacy and exciting and whilst it didn't leave a lot of room for elaboration and clarity, the constant change in pace meant a failure of explanation was not always so important. The setting of Mondas was superb and I loved how it was almost like a possible alternative of the Cybermen and how they came to be the way they were in The Tenth Planet. The little references to Earth, whilst unnamed, as the sister planet were very good indeed. The Lizard Kings being the Mondasian version of the Silurians was sublime and a just a wonderful idea and my only qualm was that I wish they appeared more! It was hugely interesting though and I loved the statues and the realisation that the myths were all real. The development of the Cybermen throughout the story was fast and sometimes random but that was quite good and I liked how the design was quite distinct. The Cybermen's design has changed so much over the years so it's only right that things changed in the comics too so I liked that it was different whilst having familiar elements. The constant back and forth nature of the serial of comics was good but I do felt that it perhaps happened once too often. There never quite seemed to be a direction the story was heading to but that was mostly fine as the unpredictability factor was great to see. The emergence of the Mondasian version of the Sea Devils was a delightful surprise and I loved that they did battle with the Cybermen. The story of Golgoth was brilliant and I really did enjoy the legends and myths that stemmed from him. The image of what can only be described as a Cyber-embryo was just incredible and something I would never have even thought possible! It was brilliant. The mystery surrounding this son when it came to a couple of millennia past was good and intriguing. I really did find this story so interesting and the final two pages, printed much more recently as The Prodigal Returns, was marvellous and the alternate endings and happenings of the Cybermen and their Mondasian Silurians was great. Both of them being devastated that they couldn't get to Mondas, despite actually being back on their own planet without realising due to who was in control, was very emotional - something quite ironic for a Cyberman story! I really did enjoy the ending and I think it was a fitting addition to what was a hugely eventful adventure. I can't imagine my feelings if I was around in the early-mid '90s and had to wait over two years for a story to finish with just one part each month, but thankfully this collection put everything together! Overall, a really intriguing and great story.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment