Thursday 4 July 2019

A Religious Experience


"I think we're about to replace that worm as the locals' God."

Writer: Tim Quinn
Format: Comic Strip
Released: September 1993
Printed in: DWM Yearbook 1994

Featuring: First Doctor, Ian

Synopsis

With Barbara and Vicki asleep in the TARDIS, the Doctor and Ian go exploring on the planet Seetar. It's quiet and no other life or travellers has ever come before them. But when the locals are attacked by the giant worm they seem to worship, the Doctor and Ian can't help but get involved.

Verdict

A Religious Experience was a very good continuation of my reading of The Clockwise War. I was very glad that the rest of the stories now seem like they will feature the Doctor as with the likes of my reading of the Myths & Legends book lately, I've felt like I have been missing his (or her) influx. The Cybermen was great but I think I can only handle so many Doctor-less stories! This adventure was a very intriguing one and I loved that it was just the First Doctor and Ian together. I'm a big fan of Barbara and Vicki but to get a whole comic strip with a pairing that have never exclusively had their own story together before was marvellous. The development of the Doctor and Ian's relationship is one of my favourites ever and it was a real highlight of the early-60s run of Doctor Who, and I thought it was well-written here. There was just the right amount of respect, caution and bickering that came to occur so often in the televised stories featuring these two. The mention of The Dalek Invasion of Earth and the Doctor somewhat regretting leaving Susan behind with David was deeply saddening. He was clearly missing his granddaughter a great deal which is of course completely understandable! The setting of Seetar worked well and I liked the idea of it being a planet untouched by other travellers before the arrival of the TARDIS. I had mistakenly interpreted that to mean that it was a planet without life but then the locals arrived and were worshipping a giant worm that came from out of the ground! It was all quite hectic and unexpected and that makes for exciting reading. I must admit that it was a little weird to be doing a story featuring the First Doctor that was in colour and I thought the artwork was very good throughout which is always a welcomed bonus to a good story. The Doctor and Ian saving a local inhabitant from presumably being devoured by the worm. The mention of the Doctor not needing the cricket ball that Ian used to send the worm packing just yet was very clever indeed as it foreshadowed the Fifth Doctor and Four to Doomsday in particular. The destruction of the worm led to the Doctor and Ian being worshipped as the new gods and I found it hilarious that the Doctor was enjoying it! Pomposity as its finest and it was typical of this incarnation of the Doctor which I thought was terrific writing. The influence of The Aztecs still ringing strong for Ian was very good and I enjoyed how he just flat out punched a guy in the face to prevent a sacrifice. Even if Ian's actions didn't stop them worshipping, he would rest easy knowing that no more sacrifices would be for him. However, the added ending with the cameo of the Seventh Doctor and the glimpse into Seetar's future with them seemingly offering sacrifices to the TARDIS was a superb end. I thought that was great and whilst I sincerely doubt it'll happen, I'd love to actually read the story where the Seventh Doctor put things to a firm stop. Overall though, a very good comic strip indeed.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment