Monday 4 September 2017

The Parliament of Fear Part 2


"They feast on the hearts of the strong."

Writer: Scott Gray
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 24th August 2017
Printed in: DWM 516

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Bill

Synopsis

Owls the size of men invade the Wild West and Lady Totika seems to have all the answers. Will anybody be spared in this carnage? Bill is of particular interest to the strange woman and it seems that the Doctor won't be able to get in a position to reason her. Just what is the plan of this parliament of owls?

Verdict

The Parliament of Fear continued in improved style with a pretty decent second part of the story! After a shaky start, which I did reread, I did think this addition to the comic strip adventure was an improvement but I'll get to the story itself shortly. Even though I'm nearly a fortnight late, I do like to preview the issue of Doctor Who Magazine that the comic story appears in. Now, due to a couple of lengthy train journeys I have read some of this issue and I must say that I have very much enjoyed what I read. I love the cover with Jodie Whittaker in full view and the title of 'Time for a Lady' is a terrific one. I must admit that around a year ago I was one of the sceptics when it came to the idea of a female Doctor but now I am firmly in favour of it and it most definitely is time we had the Doctor become a woman. I just know Jodie is going to be wonderful and after reading the brief interview with her in this issue I am very excited for her to get started. The scene at Christmas will be much anticipated and I love the enthusiasm that Whittaker seems to already have for the role. This is the first issue with our brand new editor but the feel of the magazine hasn't changed at all which I might have expected. I have no problem with that though. I thought the interview with the crew at Millennium FX was tremendous and it was great to read just what went on when it came to the special effects of the latest season. It was a really intriguing read. Nicholas Briggs had a lovely interview in this issue too and I liked hearing how he prepared to recreate the iconic voice of the Mondasian Cybermen from The Tenth Planet for the latest season finale. The XIII Chromosome feature was a fantastic little addition to the Jodie Whittaker interview and I liked hearing the thoughts and arguments throughout the show's past as to why we should have a female Doctor. I thought the claim about the stage actress actually being the first female Doctor to be quite humorous and interesting too. I look forward to the 2016 Annual Survey results very much as that is something I always enjoy seeing and The Trail of a Time Lord looks like a good little feature too. Even though I'm well into starting the issue now it looks set to be a brilliant issue! Now, to the comic strip itself and I thought it was a definite improvement but I get the feeling this is going to be the lowest rated Twelfth Doctor comic strip from DWM's pages yet which is a shame. The twist that the parliament in the story's title actually means a collection of owls was very good but I'm not quite sure what to make of the Stikini just yet. They don't look overly impressive but their backstory is good so I'm willing to give them a chance in the next issue. The characterisation of Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor was pretty strong in this comic strip and I thought Pearl Mackie's likeness as Bill was very well captured. Her relationship with Totika was interesting and I like how she told her everything to save Zeke's life. The cliffhanger was good but I can't help but feel that this story is a bit repetitive and extremely similar to Supernature, the Eleventh Doctor's comic strip debut. It has a similar feel and atmosphere despite the drastic contrast of setting. I do hope it improves and whilst it remains good, it could definitely be better. Hopefully part three makes me have a more positive view of the story! 


No comments:

Post a Comment