Monday 11 September 2017

Aliens Among Us: Changes Everything


"This is the world that needs saving. Forget aliens."

Writer: James Goss
Format: Audio
Released: 10th August 2017
Series: Torchwood 5.01

Featuring: Captain Jack, Gwen, Tyler, Mr Colchester

Synopsis

Tyler Steele has washed up in Cardiff looking for a fresh start. A disgraced journalist, he's looking into the Red Doors movement - are they really behind the terrorist attacks on immigrants? Who is stirring up the racism and hatred in the city, and what does outsourcing contractor 3Sol have to do with it?

Tyler finds out that Torchwood - a secret organisation that everyone thought was long gone - is back in business. Tyler realises that this is the second chance he's been looking for, and he'll do anything to be a part of it.

Verdict

Changes Everything was an excellent start to the fifth series of Torchwood! Yes, after six long years since the outstanding Miracle Day we finally continue the story here with Aliens Among Us. Now, I must admit that a fifth series on audio is not what I hoped for but it definitely is a whole lot better than nothing at all. All of us as fans would have loved for the show to return on television but for whatever reason that just isn't to be the case which is a real shame. Thankfully though, the story rolls on and what a beginning we have here! I thought the story reestablished Torchwood very well and brilliantly introduced the show again to us through the eyes of newbie Tyler Steele. He was a brilliant character and I really liked how at first he didn't believe everything that Torchwood stood for and fought against but by the end of the episode he was demanding a job. That psychology seems to have worked very well I must say. I thought it was good that Captain Jack didn't enter the story until a decent proportion of it had passed and his flirty arrival was brilliantly typical of the character. I bet he just loves that Tyler is gay and the two of them seemed to get it on just fine. Their relationship is one I expect to fully enjoy throughout this series. It was wonderful to hear that the Torchwood Hub is back up and running following the devastation in Children of Earth: Day One and I very much liked how that episode was referenced. Jack having to explain that he was immortal but not an alien to Tyler was good and I liked how he saw those powers demonstrated following the massacre at the refugee vigil. I love how this story captured the tones of the modern day and basing a story upon terrorist attacks and refugee stigma is brave but superb and I expect that theme to carry through for the next eleven episodes. So much happened in this story that I can't quite believe it's just the beginning of an epic adventure! This series really does have me excited. Now, I must admit that I am a bit confused regarding Gwen's involvement in this audio. I don't know if my brain is messing with me or if it was intentional but that wasn't Eve Myles voicing Gwen here, was it? I sincerely hope not and the fact that her name wasn't mentioned until the end has me thinking that I am right to be confused but I guess I'll just have to wait and see in the next few episodes to see if any of that comes into fruition. I thought Mr Colchester was a good character and I like how there is now a bit of seniority in the Torchwood team, even if he is technically actually working for the government. The mentions of Torchwood having their funding cut was great and made you realise that this actually was an official secret organisation. Jack's delight at somebody realising he was Torchwood once he shot Vorsun was terrific and I really like how they are referencing the gap between the release of each series. Times have advanced and Cardiff is completely different city now. Jack and Torchwood have been away too long and aliens seem to have infiltrated and embedded themselves in Wales' capital. I loved the Welshness of the story being Welsh myself and the idea of the area where the water fountain stands being a car park humoured me I must say. The terrorist attacks were very real and modern and I liked that and things have been set up very nicely for the future whilst also resolving a problem that was presented in the episode. I'm still confused about Gwen but that has me intrigued for the future so that can only be a good thing. Overall, a fantastic return!

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment