Wednesday 8 June 2016

The Psychic Jungle


"Nature has provided this planet with the perfect form of defence..."

Writer: Paul Crompton
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 1976
Printed in: The Amazing World of Doctor Who

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Sarah, Harry

Synopsis 

The Fourth Doctor, Sarah and Harry arrive on a barren planet that is nothing more than just a desert. However, the companions don't see things that way and with psychic powers in the air, illusionary threats start to become very real...

Verdict 

The Psychic Jungle was a pretty good little comic strip adventure and continued my reading of my cousin's copy of The Amazing World of Doctor Who. I still can't quite believe that he has this in his small but growing collection and I must admit I am incredibly envious. I found out my auntie paid a mere £1.10 for it in the local car boot sale and if all goes well, I may have to venture to it myself. Things have been a little hectic at my grandparents' house lately but tomorrow me and my cousin will finally settle down and get watching a television story that he is yet to see. I must admit though, judging on fun tests and some questions about stories he has seen, there aren't many of those left to be honest! But just as luck would have it, the four Classic era DVDs that I packed with me are ones he hasn't seen so we're spoilt for choice which is terrific news. The Classic era Doctor Who Annuals are, in my opinion, so much better than what we've had in recent years. I thought that with the change of ownership of Doctor Who Adventures that things might have been different for the 2016 Annual but it was still far too child orientated. This book, although not a Doctor Who Annual, was set out very much like one and contained considerable reprints from the 1976 edition but it's just instantly recognisable as being for all ages. Both adults and children can enjoy the comic and text adventures whilst the other features aren't set out to appeal to a younger audience even if that was the attention. It really does appeal to all ages. Speaking of appeal, that was sadly something this comic strip didn't instantly have. Other than the drawing and colouring of the Fourth Doctor, I thought the artwork for this comic strip was appalling. The characters of Sarah and Harry weren't recognisable in the slightest and that really was a huge disappointment. It really did leave me annoyed with what I had just read despite the story still scoring a decent reading. At just six pages long, it's rather difficult to tell a brilliant comic story but this did a decent job in fulfilling what it was required to do. It was entertaining and was recognisable as Doctor Who. People might think I'm mad by blogging each story from this book individually but in over 750 blog entries, I haven't ever done a blog that contains more than one story, such as an anthology of adventures. I will do them all on their own because they all are different and will secure their own ratings. Anyway, despite the artwork of Harry being a complete shambles, I thought his characterisation was excellent and that was a real positive of the comic strip. Sarah's characterisation wasn't bad at all and I actually thought Tom Baker's likeness as the Fourth Doctor was captured pretty well. I loved the ambiguity surrounding the ending when the Doctor avoided answering the question over what fears he saw in the supposed jungle. The concept of the planet was very good and although the arrival and departure of the spider seemed abrupt, there was a lot of potential there and I think this story could have credentials to be developed further. The time for that might have passed but with Doctor Who you can never say never. As I say, the story itself was decent but with the artwork being as bad as it was it just had to affect my rating for the story. The quality of Doctor Who Annual stories can sometimes be questionable but if they can continue to score the same rating or higher as this did then I'll be very happy with what I have read. I will continue to take advantage of the resource whilst I have it at my disposal so the stories from its pages will continue to fill my blog! Overall though, a good little comic strip that was severely let down by its artwork. 

Rating: 7/10




No comments:

Post a Comment