Saturday 18 June 2016

Medicine Man Part 1


"All two-feet are our kin."

Writer: Nick Abadzis 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 2nd June 2016
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 07

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Gabby

Synopsis

It's back to the deep, deep past and the dawn of humanity for the Doctor and Gabby, as their travels take them to the Pleistocene - and the epic struggle between Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon forces for the future of humankind! 

Verdict 

Medicine Man started off very well with this fantastic first part of the comic strip! I always look forward to continuing the comic adventures of the Tenth Doctor and Gabby and that really is a lot down to the latter as I think she's just truly wonderful as a companion. She's everything I look for and want in a companion and there's no doubt in my mind that she's my favourite character to come out of the comic strip format. She really is just magnificent and that was highlighted here yet again. I was a little surprised we didn't get immediate continuation from Cindy, Cleo and the Magic Sketchbook after that incredible cliffhanger where Captain Jack made a surprise return but I'm sure that will come soon after this story concludes. I've no problem with waiting because this story looks to be very good in the interim. The setting of the Pleistocene era is an intriguing one because it really is prehistoric and pretty soon after reading Only Human, I was glad to see another story featuring a Neanderthal. Gabby's feelings about what homo-sapiens did to them echoed a lot of the same comments Rose mentioned in the aforementioned Ninth Doctor novel and I really liked being able to draw similarities between the characters. Munmeth was a terrific character and I loved how ahead of his time he seemed to be. He must have psychic powers of some sort to draw what he was and that just added a lot of intrigue to his character which always a good thing. The first few pages being about his background and the threat of the sky hunters was great and I loved Gabby's rushed arrival that immediately changed the feel of the story. Even though she's a comic strip character, Gabby looked amazing with her fashion sense being right on point. The story title is something I adored before reading but after turning the pages of this first part I appreciate it even more. It has an ambiguous meaning which I like with it referring to either the Doctor or Munmeth. The characterisation of David Tennant's Tenth Doctor was very good which is just like usual in these comics so that's always a bonus. He and Gabby make a sublime partnership and I do hope their time together goes into at least a third year of comic adventures yet. The mystery of the 'sky hunters' was very good and I liked how Munmeth was appealing to Longtusk for help whilst also warning him of the danger that was soon to come for their clan. His efforts were in vain however and it would later appear that his warning attempts would prove costly. Once reunited with Noomin, Munmeth was not happy at Muthmunna being lost and taken away. At this point we weren't sure who or what was taking the people, but it seems like some people will be willing to help against the mysterious sky discs. The cliffhanger was good and Gabby seems in serious danger but I think it would be more effective if we knew who the alien quintet were. I'm pretty sure they haven't appeared in a past story that I have yet to blog so I look forward to seeing who they are! I just Gabby doesn't get hurt. Overall, an excellent start to the comic strip story with some wonderful references to City of Death, Image of the Fendahl and Pyramids of Mars! Excellent start.






No comments:

Post a Comment