Saturday 25 June 2016

Terror


"The humans have brought this upon themselves."

Writer: James Swallow
Format: Audio
Released: December 2009
Series: Cyberman 2.02

Featuring: Samantha, Barnaby 

Synopsis 

A secret war is raging; a war with no soldiers - only casualties...

Two species - one organic, one synthetic - face their greatest challenge to their existence: the cold logic and ancient power of the Cybermen. Earth lies trapped between oppression and destruction, and the future is shrouded in darkness. Plans are drawn and choices are made; but the hidden truth that lurks in the shadows may be more terrible than anyone could imagine...

Verdict 

Terror was another fantastic audio in this superb Cyberman spinoff series! After listening to this story I am very happy with my decision to do both series back to back because they really do follow on immediately from one another. I kind of wish I did that for Dalek Empire now because that spinoff's first series pretty much led directly into the second and I can definitely see, or rather hear, the benefits in doing things back to back. I think this story actually marks the longest run of stories in my blog's history not to feature the Doctor after it eclipsed the five episode run of Torchwood's Children of Earth third series. I might soon beat that record as I am planning on watching the Miracle Day fourth series at some point soon but for now I'm just enjoying this brilliant spinoff. And I hate to admit it, but I was very sceptical going in to listening to Scorpius just six days ago. That seems a lifetime ago now and thinking back over the last week or so, it's fantastic to think how much story development occurs in each hour long audio. Things advanced hugely in this story with Barnaby starting the story as a prisoner continuing on from Outsiders but actually ended the audio by helping depose Richter of his status as captain. I must say that I missed hearing Samantha and Barnaby together as I have absolutely loved their relationship in both series and to hear them separated is a bit of a shame. I think both will develop without the other but I can't envisage them not reuniting in one of the next two stories. I will be devastated and hugely disappointed if that does not occur! There was a good reference to Telos and I liked the struggle that Barnaby had in trying to explain to Richter, Taggart and co about the position of Earth's Governnent and how it was under the control of the Cybermen. Hearing Yan and Hazel sneak around into the city, something that was not permitted, really took me back to how life was for humanity after the Dalek invasion in The Dalek Invasion of Earth. There were striking similarities and with the 26th century setting, I was kind of expecting a nice little reference! It sadly did not arrive but that was not a problem. Samantha was as terrific as ever and I think she's probably topped Suz as my favourite spinoff series main character. It's so easy to forget that she's an android but then you hear her literally hook up to her ship to quickly remind yourself. I do really like that. Barnaby feeling rejected by Samantha's escape was rather sad as we know that certainly wasn't the case. It was clear at the end of the last story that she didn't want to leave him but sadly she had no other choice if she wanted to live. Samantha did at least help Barnaby's position in pretending that he wasn't aware of her true identity. I liked how much the Cyber Planner featured in the story and Paul Hunt seems to be getting more devious by the story, which is great. This audio was very good, as the rating shows, but I felt that if it had a bit of action or shock moment then it could have achieved a higher score. Nonetheless, it was still very good! Overall, another great story in the Cyberman spinoff series.

Rating: 8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment