Wednesday 27 January 2016

The Warkeeper's Crown


"This Brigadier is the greatest leader you have ever encountered."

Writer: Alan Barnes
Format: Comic Strip
Released: January-March 2007
Printed in: DWM 378-380

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Brigadier

Synopsis 

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart is abducted from out of nowhere. Upon his arrival in mysterious surroundings, he is greeted by the Doctor, again sporting a new regeneration. Together, they must solve the mystery of the Warkeeper's crown and ensure that war doesn't reach Earth.  

Verdict 

The Warkeeper's Crown was a magnificent comic strip adventure to finish my reading of The Betrothal of Sontar graphic novel! It really was a fantastic way to conclude what has been a marvellous collection of comic strip adventures from 2006 and going into 2007. Doctor Who Magazine housed these adventures largely containing the Tenth Doctor alongside Rose, and sporadically with Mickey, but I was not expecting such a wonderful conclusion to the great graphic novel! We got to see an encounter between the Tenth Doctor and the Brigadier! I was overjoyed to see the latter on the first page of the comic and, nine years after this story was first printed, it had somehow escaped me that this story existed. It was a real joy to read and I really did have no idea that a post-revival era Doctor met the Brigadier. I thought it was lovely. I thought Alan Barnes characterised Nicholas Courtney's infamous character wonderfully well and I loved the inclusion at the climax where the name of the species was commonly referred to as 'Blazes'. That was an excellent touch. David Tennant's Tenth Doctor was also characterised extremely well and I would probably argue it was the best capturing of his likeness in the graphic novel as a whole. It was very strong here and I think that's only natural for it come out when the Doctor meets a very old and close friend. I just couldn't believe they got to meet! I mean we got to see Sarah Jane and the Brigadier reunited on screen in The Sarah Jane Adventures, a spinoff I am yet to begin blogging on, but I will get to it at some point. Probably once I've gotten around to finishing off Torchwood with the Miracle Day fourth series. I really liked the plot of this story and just having the presence of the Brigadier doesn't automatically make it a good story, but it of course does help things which was the case here. The Hawks were an interesting concept and I guess it's rather fitting that they appeared in a collection under the title named that included the home planet of the Sontarans as these beasties as another old friend of the Doctor's would put, were clone creatures too. The way that was used against them on Earth with an amazing scene of dozens of Brigadier was quite special. A moment of nostalgia that's for sure. The inclusion of Michael Yates, yes Michael and not Mike, was actually the only slight disappointment of the comic strip for me. The mention of Yates, who came ahead of Benton to my surprise, had me filled with excitement at the possibility of a UNIT reunion but sadly we got some silly businessman who really didn't have a clue what he was doing. The group of Tilly, Lilly and seemingly any other name that rhymed were intriguing and I did like the subplot of what they were up to. The Warkeeper's crown itself had a feel of an enigma to it which I thought was good and I loved how the Doctor being incredibly smart actually worked against him here. The crown was for the simple minded. Or more specifically for the humans. The Brigadier would end up saving the day, as he rightly should, with more than a little luck but the 'Blazes' moment really was wonderful. Overall, a joyous way to finish the graphic novel and on a personal level this was an incredible bargain. Working out at just 38p of my own money, I think it's fair to say that I got my money's worth! A fantastic adventure to finish on. A real treat. 

Rating: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment