Tuesday 12 January 2016

The Hyperion Empire Part 1


"You'd be Grumpy, or maybe Dopey, all those questions you keep asking."

Writer: Robbie Morrison 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 31st December 2015
Printed in: DWC 2.04

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara 

Synopsis 

When Clara and the Doctor land in 2015 London, they discover that the Hyperions have attacked our olsnet and reduced most of its cities to ashes! But what can the Doctor and his companion do when the dead rise to the Empire's aid? Will they be able to save the Earth's fate?

Verdict 

The Hyperion Empire started off fantastically with this excellent opening part to what looks set to be a thrilling four-part finale to the 'first year' of Twelfth Doctor and Clara comic adventures. I know with being in Britain and having to purchase these comics simultaneously, something I'm absolutely fine with as it is a money saver, we've had a bit of a jumper with the whole early reissuing of DWC to accommodate the brilliant Four Doctors story, something I'm still not entirely sure why happened, but I'm just very glad that we're getting them! They offer so much more than a television or audio story can because there really is no budget. There aren't any limitations in a comic strip story which I think is rather exciting. With that being said, the format obviously has its limits in that it is not performed so it's down to the writers to nail characterisation of the main characters, particularly the TARDIS team which in this case was the most current consistent pairing of the Twelfth Doctor and Clara. We had two full seasons of this pairing and I have pretty much done every story to feature the pair thus far, discounting their stories printed in Doctor Who Adventures, of which I would claim to not being canonical. I've done each of the five novels, both Doctor Who Annuals, every DWM and DWC comic strip available in the UK and all three audio adventures. It's fair to say I know this pairing pretty well and it's testament that there's still a lot more to come from them. I must admit that after Terrorformer, I was not expecting such a quick return from the Hyperions, if a return at all. I do like the idea of finishing the year as we started it with the Hyperions. It's a good way to go that's for sure and I like how this segment of the magazine resisted the attempt of having a big surprise return of a major villain, as was the case in Conversion with the Cybermen. I look forward to seeing how that pans out over the coming months but I'm just glad each Doctor has his own identity within the comic. The story started off rather aggressively and there's no disputing that the Hyperions mean business! They wiped out the International Space Station rather emotionally, annihilated the Lake District and seems to have left London in such ruins that Clara thought they'd arrived in the aftermath of the Great Fire of London. But much to her disbelief, it was 2015. Her time. And London was covered in ash, as well as human DNA. Not an encouraging thought at all. I thought the characterisation of Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor was done marvellously throughout, as it has been in nearly every printed story to feature the current incarnation, and I thought Clara got characterised pretty well as a whole. I really liked her narration page where she momentarily seemed to follow in the footsteps of Gabby, no artwork though, in telling us her perspective. I was glad to see the inclusion of Kate Lethbridge-Stewart once again after her appearance in The Fractures and after seeing her get included, albeit not artistically represented too well, it has made me want to purchase UNIT: Extinction a whole lot more. I do have some other audios to get through or purchase first though I think. We'll see how it goes. For now though, I was glad to see her back once again. Clara referencing Dark Water/Death in Heaven was quite sad but I loved the way she pointed out her love of travelling with the Doctor in the TARDIS. Who would want a normal life anyway? I could hardly blame her. She continues to be magnificent even after death (and to my annoyance, resurrection). The cliffhanger seemed a bit sudden I must admit, but it was pretty good one! I'm not sure how the Doctor is going to solve the Hyperion crisis but I look forward to finding out! One thing looks certain though, Hyperios Rises. Can anything stop it? I'm intrigued to discover the answer in the next few parts, and the final one is where the rating will be found. 





Dark water/death in heaven 

No comments:

Post a Comment