Friday 21 August 2015

Doctor Who and the Pirates


"I am the very model of a Gallifreyan buccaneer!"

Writer: Jacqueline Rayner 
Format: Audio
Released: April 2003
Series: Main Range 43

Featuring: Sixth Doctor, Evelyn 

Synopsis 

All aboard, me hearties, for a rip-roaring tale of adventure on the high seas!

There'll be rum for all and sea shanties galore as we travel back in time to join the valiant crew of the good ship Sea Eagle, braving perils, pirates and a peripatetic old sea-dog known only as the Doctor!

Gasp as our Gallifreyan buccaneer crosses swords with the fearsome Red Jasper, scourge of the seven seas and possessor of at least one wooden leg! Thrill as Evil Evelyn the Pirate Queen sets sail in search of buried treasure, with only a foppish ship's captain and an innocent young cabin boy by her side! Marvel at the melodious mayhem which ensues as we sail the ocean blue!

And wonder why Evelyn still hasn't realised that very few stories have happy endings...

Verdict 

Doctor Who and the Pirates was certainly an interesting audio adventure! Prior to listening, knowing that this story was by the wonderful Jacqueline Rayner, I was expecting something different from the norm and boy did she deliver! We had a bloody musical! Now, I loathe musicals but the start of part three where the Doctor gave his starring performance as a Gallifreyan buccaneer really did put a smile on my face. Colin Baker was just magnificent and there's no doubt in my mind that he's my favourite Doctor on audio. I don't think anybody comes close to him in this format. I imagine the cast really did have a lot of fun performing this adventure but I must admit, after the third or fourth different musical song I had grown tired of the humour. The story lost its seriousness at that point and I do hate to criticise Jacqueline Rayner, but thankfully she swung me back around with an excellent final part. I quite liked the idea of the Doctor and Evelyn telling this story back in a somewhat similar fashion to what would become the Companion Chronicles format, and that obviously allowed the musical nature of the third part as the pair tried to have some fun in telling what became quite an emotional story. That's the beauty of Jacqueline Rayner's writing, she has something so barmy and fun mixed in with something as horrifying as the way Jem's story came to an end. Evelyn really couldn't deal with the fact that on a technicality she had caused his death. After all was done she just wanted to go home and have a break from seeing all of time and space. For an elderly woman, she's certainly gone through quite a lot since joining the Doctor in The Marian Conspiracy! I mean, she's met the Daleks twice! But this story seems to have taken the most out of her. I found it interesting that she went to Sally, one of her students, to talk about the events. I'm all set to move out in just over five weeks for a History degree myself and I really won't be pleased if my lecturer comes knocking on my door! I couldn't blame Sally at all for wanting the pair to leave. I like the idea of doing a pirate story and I really did like how all the stereotypical characteristics were thrown in but then explained. I loved part one and it seemed that Jacqueline Rayner was mocking her own story in wondering if there was any real story after around half an hour of listening! The highlight for me though, despite my loathing of musicals, was the Doctor's first musical song in which there were numerous references to The Daleks' Master Plan, The Ark, The Invasion, The Dominators and The Claws of Axos. I do love a past story reference, no matter how it arises, so it was nice to also hear mentions of The Keys of Marinus, The Krotons and State of Decay. Outside of the song, the reference to The Visitation was excellent and I found it intriguing that the Doctor didn't like to talk about that. He was responsible for the Great Fire of London but his fifth incarnation didn't seem to care too much at the time and was in a hurry to leave! He's obviously had time to dwell on his actions. Jasper served as a very good villainous character and was your typical Pirate villain - or at least what I'd expect one to be. Captain Swan was brilliant and the climax was very clever with the treasure map being inside the compass. I'm intrigued to see what Evelyn does in her next story as she went through a lot here. Overall, despite the musical mayhem, a fantastic adventure. 

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment