Wednesday 13 May 2015

The Spear of Destiny


"This theory is that many stories that scholars of your time believe to be myths, legends and mere tales were, in fact, originally based on real events..."

Writer: Marcus Sedgwick 
Format: Novella
Released: November 2014
Series: 12 Doctors, 12 Stories: 03

Featuring: Third Doctor, Jo

Synopsis 

The Third Doctor and Jo Grant are on a quest to track down the magical spear of Odin. Caught in a vicious battle between two Viking tribes, the Doctor must stop the spear getting into the wrong hands before it's too late.

Verdict 

The Spear of Destiny was a brilliant novella! A really great adventure that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's not quite the same as reading a book but now I'm three stories in, I'm really loving these short stories that make up the 12 Doctors, 12 Stories collection. I'm really liking how they can be done rather quickly but you still get the feel of having read a book, or rather in this case something that is a novelised format. It's still a lovely feeling finishing the novella and I like how with it being pretty short, the pace is brilliant. I found myself flying through the chapters which was a really nice pleasant evening read after getting revision done early. The pairing of the Third Doctor and Jo is always a great one and it's one I certainly enjoy in print as they're portrayed on the pages excellently well - the characterisation is spot on. It wasn't too long ago at all that I read Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters and the pairing were captured here similarly to the way they were there which is something I find wonderful when you consider the difference in publication date! It doesn't matter the time or the technology the book is being produced on, writing for these characters doesn't seem to fail. The good humour that comes with Jo was nice to see and I liked how she disapproved of the Doctor's somewhat exuberant attire. The comments about the cape were hilarious although I liked the irony in her wishing she'd accepted the offer of it to keep her warm. The idea behind the story is a very bold one but it absolutely worked. Here we were in the 2nd century and we were seeing the creation of Norse mythology! Except it wasn't mythical at all. That's a concept I find both magnificent and actually very likely. I'm not superstitious in the slightest and I'm most certainly not religious (I wasn't too happy with the Doctor mentioning events about Jesus at all), but I do believe some mythology holds truth in it. None of this rubbish about different gods and what have you, I do believe that what was presented in this novella is more than feasible. I enjoyed the references to The War Games and The Three Doctors when talking about the Doctor's exile and I loved how defensive he got when Jo basically told him how it was and that he worked for UNIT. He tried to protest that he didn't but it just didn't work. Of course he did. The return of the Master, for the second story running in this little collection, was done magnificently and even before I read the words I knew it was coming. I'm not sure why but I just did. Is there a possibility that somehow I knew the word Frey meant Master? I'm not so sure. I'll give credit to the writer and just say he created a great atmosphere and surrounding that the Master would just fit into wonderfully. It sort of had a similar feel to Time-Flight in the fact of the historical setting. I liked the Viking characters and I thought Odin was very good. The revelation about the Spear of Destiny was incredible (excluding the crucification) and I loved the supposed adventure it had been on through history, always killing its victim. The pondering over Hitler's usage, had he ever touched it, was a great moment. Anytime Hitler is mentioned I love a moment where the possibility that the Nazis could win the war becomes apparent. It happened in Colditz and it happened here. The ultimate way the Doctor yet again defeated his arch nemesis was superb. He gained the upper hand right at the end once more. Doesn't the Master get sick of being trumped by his bitter enemy, even if he is a much better TARDIS pilot? Jo accidentally stumbling upon the Master's dimensional stabiliser was also a nice throwback to The Time Meddler. Overall, an excellent story! 

Rating: 9/10






No comments:

Post a Comment