Wednesday 27 May 2015

Dreams of Empire


"Perhaps it takes a civil war to bring home to them the problems with the way they treat others."

Writer: Justin Richards 
Format: Novel
Released: March 2013
Series: 50th Anniversary Collection 02

Featuring: Second Doctor, Jamie, Victoria

Synopsis 

On a barren asteroid, the once-mighty Haddron Empire is on the brink of collapse, torn apart by civil war. The one man who might have saved it languishes in prison, his enemies planning his death and his friends plotting his escape. The Second Doctor arrives as the last act of this deadly drama is being played out - and with both terrifying killers and cunning traitors to defeat, the future hangs in the balance. 

Verdict 

Dreams of Empire was a very good novel to celebrate the Second Doctor in this format as part of the 50th anniversary celebration! I know I'm reading over two years since its rerelease, but that doesn't matter at all, does it? I bought it in the anniversary year but with college and so much other unexplored Doctor Who I've struggled to find time for novels but slowly but surely I'm realising that it may be in my head that they take longer to do than is actually the case. Just look at me here, completing the whole thing in just about 24 hours (whilst fitting in around 9 hours of sleep and some more important History revision!). I like the little introductions these anniversary reprints have and I was intrigued to read what Justin Richards had to say. The way he came up with the idea of the novel was intriguing, even if I felt the idea of the Republic was drummed into us a little too much during the opening of the novel. Not that it hurt, I guess. The characterisation of the Second Doctor, as Richards explains in his novel, is a very difficult one to portray in prose but I must say with joy that he absolutely nailed him in this novel. Spot on. Perfect. I could easily read every line of the Doctor's in the familiar voice of the late great Patrick Troughton. But it wasn't just the Doctor whose characterisation was nailed - Victoria was absolutely perfect as well! Jamie wasn't what I'd call perfect but the good humoured banter between him and the Doctor was ever present which was lovely to read. I love this trio of travellers and despite popular opinion and what I may have said before, I think Victoria trumps Zoe when it comes to the Second Doctor's TARDIS trios. Zoe is probably better individually but as a whole I prefer the less intelligent and much more sweeter Victoria. The references to The Tomb of the Cybermen and The Evil of the Daleks were nicely placed and I imagine that this story is set rather closely to Fury from the Deep. Victoria was questioning all the death that the TARDIS adventures seem to bring and the Doctor had a brand new sonic screwdriver. Now since the aforementioned story is where the infamous sonic makes it debut, to me this is the first chronological appearance of the trusty tool! And it proved rather useful! I loved though how you could tell the Doctor was still getting used to his new device. It was certainly early in its time and I loved how that was presented. The plot was a good one and there were some excellent twists along the way. The pace was good though I thought the chapter lengths could have been trimmed down a little. The opening, before the Doctor and co were first mentioned, seemed a bit repetitive but it introduced us to most of the characters we would soon become acquainted with. Cruger was an intriguing villain and his motive seemed questionable. With the Republic being an Empire - in all but name - he wanted to become its Emperor. He craved power. It was quite sadistic the lengths he'd go to seemingly try and achieve that. Trayx was a character I really liked and his relationship and history with Kesar was a good theme throughout the novel. Speaking of the themes, the numerous references and analogies to chess were magnificent. I don't play often but I do rather enjoy a game of chess and I just knew the Doctor would outshine everyone without even seeming to be paying too much attention or concentration. The origins of chess being explored and it was lovely how the Doctor was intrigued by how the same basic principles originated everywhere. Later in life he'd learn that his own people were the crafters of the game. With this being a Second Doctor novel, so set prior to The War Games, I loved how Richards was delicate in revealing that the Doctor was not human. He'd implied it earlier on in the story but for those few avid first timers who want to do everything of all formats in order, this must have been a great inclusion. It's subtle brilliance. I may be making more of one line than needs to be but I just thought it was excellent. I was fascinated that Jamie had dreams of his previous adventures and he seemed to be frightened by the likes of Daleks, Cybermen, Yeti and Ice Warriors. Not that I can blame him of course but he hides it well on the exterior. His cautiousness towards Prion was great, especially when he was technically proved right when it was revealed he was actually a robot! I should have worked it out with the numerous mentions of him being devoid of motion. The relationship between Haden and Darkling was an emotional one, especially when the latter had to watch the former be murdered. Helana was a wonderful character too I must add. The threat of the VETACs was good and I liked their abilities. The fear of their ship arriving showed how dangerous they obviously were. I liked how they adhered to the command chain above all else. They held rank in high regard - like good soldiers and officers. The climax was action packed and saw a good resolution to the danger that was at hand. Overall, filled with the typical humour of the Second Doctor era, I like how this novel somewhat modernises this wonderful incarnation. A little repetitive and perhaps confusing at times, but a stellar job. 

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment