Thursday 25 December 2014

Last Christmas



"It's Christmas Day, it's the North Pole, and you're dying. Who are you going to call?"

Writer: Steven Moffat 
Format: TV 
Broadcast: 25th December 2014
Series: 2014 Christmas Special

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis 

Four crew members of an Ice Cap Solar Base - Ashley Carter, Bellows, Professor Albert and Shona - are under attack from the alien Kantrofarri. Fortunately for them, help is on the way. But desperate though their situation is, how willing will they be to accept one rescuer who arrives in a police box, and another who turns up on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer?

Verdict 

Last Christmas was an interesting episode with a varying mixture of ups and downs. I still don't know why the Doctor Who Christmas Specials actually have to be about Christmas. The Runaway Bride and The Next Doctor didn't feel Christmassy but I thought there was a touch too much of the theme throughout the episode today. I mean, Santa actually appeared for crying out loud! I really didn't like how after interrupting the end credits of Death in Heaven, a story nicely referenced, nothing was made of Santa knocking on the TARDIS door. He was with his merry elves and reindeer which was just a step too far for me. I'm glad the appearance of Santa was kept to quite a minimal. I think had this episode not been a Christmas Special it would have worked spectacularly but with it being so it just felt a bit tacky at times. The base was a good setting and I really love the idea behind the Kantrofarri of them being blind and deaf but telepathically they could see what someone who was thinking about them could see. Now that's a creepy concept! Their appearance was pretty horrifying and their method of killing was frightening! They just casually smothered themselves around your face while they sucked your brain dry. Describing the dream state as a sense of anaesthetic was outstanding and possibly the high point of the story. At least you'd die happily in a situation you conjured up for yourself. I really wasn't too pleased to see Danny return in the dream. I mean, I thought he was dead already. Once a character is killed off, they should stay that way. Or at least be utilised successfully as with Adric in Time-Flight. I mentioned that the anaesthetic dream state may have been the highlight but I think that role has to go to the Doctor and Clara, or rather Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman. I thought they were outstanding together once more in this episode and highlighted just what a poor guest cast we had. I read in the recent Christmas edition of DWM that Steven Moffat always wanted to cast Michael Troughton in a role because of his obvious family connection but that's something I strongly disagree with. Actors should be hired on merit and I really wasn't overly impressed by Albert. It's not really a nasty thing to say that his death was his biggest highlight and contribution to the story as the Kantrofarri emerged from the visual sets. I do like the idea of dreams within dream - I really did like the idea of the story! - but the number of times the Doctor and co awoke from a dream only for it to be another dream was pushed too far I felt. It happened a few too many times. I know Moffat likes to confuse us but this was just beyond! Even at the climax with the Doctor going to Clara it was another dream! There was just no substance to things. Nick Frost did his best to distance his portrayal of Santa from what we'd consider traditional and I thought the elves of Ian and the Wolf provided some good comedy, even if they needlessly referenced racism a few times. Upon watching this episode I'm glad I'm only eighteen years old and not yet a parent as for any young fans I think some parents have got some extremely awkward questions to answer tonight! The episode affirmed to us that Santa was just a dream. A myth. A fairytale. Clara stopped believing at nine years old, I just hope my six year old cousin who I've converted into a big Who fan at an early age didn't question my auntie about the reality of Santa! The efforts of trying to confirm he was real were in vain I felt as for some young fans the idea of Santa not being real may have only hit after this episode. And I think that's a darn shame. Doctor Who was intended for children and to confirm Santa only exists in our dreams was awfully sad. However, I did like the Doctor taking command of situations assuring concentration of those around him, making sure they awoke from the dreams. Once everybody finally woke up, departing the sleigh one by one, I liked how it was Clara who was last to depart. I really thought she was going to leave as companion as an old women which I wouldn't have liked at all. The Doctor's comments about age not making a difference in how he sees his companions was beautiful though! I must admit, amid the speculation surrounding Jenna Coleman's status in the TARDIS, I punched the air when Clara accepted the second chance of going off with the Doctor. I think Series Nine will see a more happy relationship between the pair than we saw in 2014 as they really were delighted to be joining each other once more. After they both admitted they were lying, I think they both need each other now. I look very forward to The Magician's Apprentice but this Christmas Special was pretty good, but definitely the worst Christmas Special yet which is sad to say. It still gets a decent rating though!

Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment