Friday 19 December 2014

The Sleeping Guardians


"As the bombs exploded, the rockets directed white-hot beams which incinerated everything they touched..."

Writer: Paul Crompton 
Format: Short Story
Released: September 1979
Printed in: Doctor Who Annual 1980

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Romana I, K9

Synopsis 

The Doctor, Romana and K9 get caught up in an embroiled invasion, with the only way to defeat the invaders is to find the key to awaken the sleeping army of soldiers...

Verdict 

The Sleeping Guardians was a brilliant little story to bring an end to my very enjoyable readings of the 1980 Doctor Who Annual. After purchasing the little gem of an item in a sci-fi collector's shop for a mere £3.50, I've really enjoyed going through each story and blogging my thoughts on each one. After the infamous 'Key to Time' season, which was all we saw of the Fourth Doctor, Romana I and K9 on our screens in the six episodes, I'm very glad that this Annual alone has given us a further seven adventures with the trio and over the course of the stories I've really warmed to the trio in this short story and comic format, some of which really are fantastic stories such as Terror on Xaboi and Reluctant Warriors. And this story as well was superb as well, a splendid end to the Annual and I do hope I can be lucky enough to find another Classic Annual at some point in the near future. I loved the humour surrounding the Doctor and Romana with the latter constantly mocking his "old age". This Doctor is actually pretty young when compared to the incarnation we currently have on our screens! To decide where the TARDIS would go next, the Doctor got his companions to partake in a little number game and they soon ended up in Valeria, at the point of an invasion! Tallis welcoming the strangers into hiding was a nice touch and I liked how he was apologising on behalf of his enemies who were destroying the town above. The description of the invasion really was bloody and brutal which I was surprised by. But I liked it as in these short stories a genuine fear factor is certainly a bonus. K9 playing an active role in the story was tremendous and I just love that robotic dog as companion, especially when things are taken so literal. I'd normally associate the famous companion with Romana II after Warriors' Gate or Sarah Jane after School Reunion and her own spinoff series that followed but here with Romana I it just easily works. The discovery of the sleeping army was really intriguing! They'd arrived in the middle of a dormant army 10,000 strong. I liked the subtle similarity to the Battle of Hastings with the Valerians coming out of hiding where there was no sign of the enemy but then immediately they came and destruction soon ensued once more. I was mightily shocked that the Doctor's answer to the problem was to just leave! Under no circumstance for the Doctor does even he believe that it's a justifiable resolution. That was a shock but it did allow K9 to find the key in what were average circumstances it has to be said. I really did enjoy the story but how the key had become lost and the way it was found were the only slight lowlights. It was a tad too easy for my liking but the Doctor's reaction to the finding certainly put a smile to my face. The army awoke and battled the invasion successfully. Tallis rushed to bid the trio goodbye and it was excellent that K9 wanted to be acknowledged for his help despite not usually wanting thanks. Overall, a very good story to end the Annual which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading! 

Rating: 8/10  






No comments:

Post a Comment