Saturday 27 December 2014

Culture Shock



"The electric fog of our syntelligence is alive with the raw mathematics of fear."

Writer: Grant Morrison
Format: Comic Strip
Released: September 2011
Printed in: Doctor Who Classics: Volume 7

Featuring: Seventh Doctor

Synopsis 

The Seventh Doctor is pondering about going home to Gallifrey... for good. But when an internal nucleonic structure cries for help from an invading virus, the Doctor soon steps into action. 

Verdict 

Culture Shock was an unexpectedly brilliant little comic strip adventure! Since purchasing the IDW collection of original DWM comic stories updated with colour I've been a little hard to impress. Now, I'm not saying I've been disappointed in the slightest but in every graphic novel I've previously bought there's usually been at least one standout story by this point but I don't think I've had that yet sadly. However, with this little gem I think I've stumbled upon it! It was really intriguing from start to finish with the mystery behind the syntelligence. I was surprised by the Doctor's pondering over whether to return home to Gallifrey for good. In fact, it almost caught me off guard to be honest. During Sylvester McCoy's tenure as the Doctor things really distanced themselves from the Doctor being a Time Lord and going back to Gallifrey from time to time. I think the BBC really took a disliking to The Trial of a Time Lord! Just why I'm not so sure. I think this comic strip highlighted just how much the Doctor needs a companion for both his and the reader's benefit. He can't go on talking to the TARDIS like it's his companion now can he! Well, knowing the Doctor he probably can. It does seem though that he's really suffering from not having anybody around to talk to or explain something they don't understand. The idea behind the story was an extremely clever one with the thoughts of an internal nucleonic setup being telepathically transmitted! It was almost like an emergency SOS but from within an organism. The overbody references were terrific and I loved how from inside anything beyond the body was considered to be outer space! Genius. The Doctor picking up the cry for help was terrific and it gave him a kick of inspiration to continue seeing the universe. His conversation with the syntelligence was lovely and I really liked how he enjoyed the situation of a mass mind in a nucleus being petrified of the invading virus! He of course got the antidote and injected it and helped it on the way to the desired destination of the ocean. Their thoughts on the Doctor soon changed after they thought him to be an ignorant and inconsiderate alien whilst he fetched the antidote. Now he was a hero to the internal civilisation which I thought was very nice! The story itself was short, as is going to be the case with just one part, but for once I actually thought the length was perfect for the story really! Everything seemed to fit just about right. An excellent little adventure and I do hope the Doctor finds a companion sooner or later! 

Rating: 9/10







No comments:

Post a Comment