Friday 3 October 2014

Mother Russia


"The Holy City of Mother Russia, abandoned for Napoleon to just walk in."

Writer: Marc Platt
Format: Audio
Released: October 2007
Series: Companion Chronicles 2.01

Featuring: First Doctor, Steven, Dodo

Synopsis 

It's 1812 and the Doctor, Steven and Dodo get ready to spend their winter in a Russian village. The French are on their way, but that's not the only invasion the travellers will have to deal with. 

Verdict 

Mother Russia was a very good audio story to kick off the second series of Companion Chronicles! A brilliant historical setting, decent plot and wonderfully performed by Peter Purves, this was a really nice and easy listen. Now you may know from previous entries that I'm a big fan of History and so much so that I'm applying to do a degree in the subject but the period at hand in this story was one I studied during the past academic year! I really enjoyed by AS course and the Napoleonic Wars were a highlight of study, so much so that I actually liked revising it! The 1812 invasion of Russia was an absolute disaster for the French, I mean why would they attempt to take the country on the brink of winter? This is a story I've been wanting to do for a long time now because I just knew the event and setting would make a great story and indeed it did. However, I didn't like the fact that the 'shape thief' was added also. Surely a historical event of such significance could produce a stand alone story rather than including alien presence? Pseudo historicals aren't always the way forward. The relationship between the TARDIS trio was good to see and it was nice to get another adventure with this particular threesome because I seemed to fly through the minimal TV adventures! It seemed that Dodo had departed almost as soon as she'd arrived in The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve. I liked the humour regarding the Doctor wanting a holiday after it was established this story took place directly after The Gunfighters, which was humorously referenced on more than one occasion. Now, I loathe the TV serial I just mentioned so I really liked the mention of not wanting to hear the Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon song again. Just the tune of that annoys me, let alone the lyrics. Speaking of past stories and I liked how Steven used The Myth Makers to make comparisons between the Ancient Greek army and the French army. An intriguing thought no doubt! It was also nice hearing a bit more about Steven's past and how much he liked being a pilot and how since The Chase how much his life has changed and how he admired the Doctor. It's terrific how historicals of the First Doctor era seem so much more significant than they would now. And I think that's just a homage to the early years. The depiction of the French rampage was tremendous and I loved the unexpected addition of Napoleon actually appearing! The cliffhanger was good and not too dissimilar to the brilliant one in Domain of the Voord which I recently listened to. The resolution though was average. The idea of a multiple invasion from ground and sky is good but I'm not sure it was necessary. The 'shape thief' enemy, which really should have been given a proper name, was pretty good to be fair causing some mass hurt to Steven's feelings after he took on the form of the Doctor and dismayed even knowing who Dodo was. Speaking of Dodo, she was given a good format here and actually had something to do which can't be said for some of her stories across the formats. It's sad to say but due to her abrupt arrival and departure, there's no doubt that Dodo is the most forgettable companion. I loved the continuation from The Reign of Terror with the Doctor's eagerness to visit Moscow, Russia's capital. As Susan stated in that serial, this was the First Doctor's favourite period in Earth history after all! And who can blame him, although I prefer the ancient stuff my self. The climax of the plot was very good with how the enemy at hand was thwarted and I liked the subtle humour against the French as their retreat was depicted. They'd be travelling back home through a devastating Russian winter, and only around 10% of men would make it home alive. Overall, a very good story! Great references to past stories, good plot and terrific historical value.

Rating: 8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment