Wednesday 18 June 2014

The Ark


"You still fear the unknown like everyone else before you."

Writers: Paul Erickson & Lesley Scott
Format: TV
Broadcast: 5th-26th March 1966
Season: 3.06

Featuring: First Doctor, Steven, Dodo

Synopsis 

The Doctor and his companions Steven Taylor and Dodo Chaplet arrive some ten million years into the future, on board a generation starship which is carrying the last of humanity away from an Earth that is about to fall into the Sun. However, the cold that Dodo has could prove devastating to these future humans and their servants, the Monoids.

Verdict 

The Ark was a good, consistent and very intriguing Season three story. It differed massively from its five predecessors, as should be the case, I really liked the idea, loved it in fact, of a Noar's Ark type of story but in the far, far future where the Earth is no longer habitable. Although I think the Noar's Ark myth is ridiculous (I'm a strong Atheist), the idea of putting it in space was portrayed very well. I liked how the human race was miniaturised to allow for adequate space, millions of people just waiting to be restored to full size when the Ark got to Refusis. After her abrupt arrival in The Massacre, this was Dodo's first venture in the TARDIS and to be honest I didn't like her that much. It just seems with her image that the production team were trying to recreate Susan but that just cannot happen! Susan was brilliant with her being related to the Doctor. I didn't care for Dodo's dialect and cockney accent and I do hope that the Doctor sticks by his word and texted her to use correct English! I quite liked how the serial was split into two segments (no pun intended) with the period where Dodo brought the fever and the Doctor discovered the cure, and then the after effects with the fever having mutated and a Monoid revolution having occurred. I found it impossible to believe that the statue would take 700 years to build but because of its brilliant focal point in the story I could allow it to slide. The Monoids, in the last two parts, were good villains! I really liked their appearance and their ruthlessness was outstanding. After centuries of travelling to Refusis, the Monoids were just going to leave the humans on the Ark and then blow it up! Fantastic! That's what you call a villainous plan. The guest cast were terrific in the serial with Zentos, the Commander and Manyak particular highlights. The cliffhanger of episode two is a memorable one and I love the sheer statistical improbability of it! The fact that the Doctor, Steven and Dodo became a legend on the Ark was wonderful and I also liked how it was Dodo herself who named the Ark what it was. I thought the scenes on Refusis were excellent and I really liked how easily the Doctor got on with the invisible Refusians. The voice of the mightily strong creatures was very domineering which was good and the power they possessed was also great, with them destroying the ship and then launching the statue out into space. The Monoids planting a bomb in the head of the statue was outstandingly evil which made it very good! The ease of its disposal wasn't all that brilliant but the events leading to the bomb's discovery was superb! I'd have liked to have seen this story extended to six parts with the extra two taking place between episodes 2 and 3 here and it depicting the Monoid revolution. Should that have occurred then I think the story would have got full marks! But what we got was fantastic anyway! It just seemed a little quick for the Monoids to suddenly go from servants to the masters in the space of a cliffhanger. I look forward to one day seeing/hearing/reading another story with the Monoids, namely a Bernice Summerfield audio is all I know of so far, as I'd like to see them get another go as villains. I thought the story shared resemblances with The Sensorites in some areas and I liked the references to The Romans and The Myth Makers. The use of time being measured in segments was a tremendous concept! The climax was a good one and the Monoids bringing their own downfall. Overall, a very strong and great serial! 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment