Friday 26 April 2024

Wild Blue Yonder


"Her double's widening mouth just made a bigger target."

Writer: Mark Morris
Format: Novel
Released: December 2023
Series: Target 179

Featuring: Fourteenth Doctor, Donna

Synopsis

A ship at the edge of space. A robot with a secret. A sinister presence. 

The Doctor and Donna are trapped on board a mysterious spacecraft. Fate of the crew: unknown. Fate of the universe if what's on board gets out: terminal. 

Verdict

Wild Blue Yonder was a decent novelisation of the Sixtieth Anniversary special of the same name! I did think prior to reading that this would be a tough ask to novelise given the nature of the episode and the lack of supporting characters, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I think my main issues were consistent with what I felt on screen and that relates to the whole silliness of the mavity thing and the Doctor choosing the wrong Donna just before the ship is about to explode. I know he's an all knowing Time Lord and even realised that Martha was a clone in The Poison Sky because of a strand of hair, but 0.06 millimetres of a longer arm is not going to be noticeable. Especially after everything they had just been through! I don't know, it just sits a little wrong with me that he doesn't address choosing the incorrect version. He made his decision on an answer to one small question so I think he should explain why he didn't pick the real Donna initially. I thought the prologue was fine but I find the whole changing gravity to mavity thing a little weird and frankly silly. I hope this isn't an ongoing gag that stays in Doctor Who for eternity and that there is a logical reason for it in a future storyline. That's the indication I got from reading this book as it was mentioned and highlighted on more than one occasion. There was still that wonderful shared humour moment as both the Doctor and Donna gleam in knowing that Isaac Newton will appreciate the gravity of the situation, but then Donna's own memory shifts and she doesn't understand when the Doctor says gravity on two separate occasions. It's intriguing I'll admit, but I do want an explanation or resolution. I thought the Not-Things had an understandably reduced impact in the book than on screen as they really are all about the visuals. I think the author did a good job in injecting a sense of fear into them but I do think I was helped by having seen them play out on screen. The imagery that comes from the long arms and the twisted heads was for sure felt here, but I don't think that would have been the case if I had read the novelisation first. I enjoyed exploring the mystery of the spaceship at the edge of the universe and the nod to The Christmas Invasion with the Doctor explaining that the TARDIS would be fine if tea was spilt on the console was much welcomed. I still maintain it's a slight overreaction from the TARDIS to a bit of coffee! The HADS moment is fun and I love the vulnerability of the Doctor and Donna being separated from the TARDIS, especially when it had the sonic screwdriver in the lock as well. Defenceless doesn't begin to cut it! The lack of TARDIS translation for the countdown was also good and I liked Jimbo the robot and his very slow walk to self destruct the ship. The Not-Things having no understanding of the previous captain's sacrifice was great and they were desperate for information. I also liked the prose when it came to explaining that they had taken physical form and had brains now so they were subject to the elements of the universe. They needed time to react when the Doctor initiated the explosion, but it wasn't coming. They were dealt with rather emphatically with the incineration! I do think they were strong villains though and I love the element of the unknown. Sure, it got a little dodgy in the description of multiple versions of two characters but that was always going to happen. It's difficult to avoid clunkiness like that. There was a lot of action though and I was impressed with the pace. It also helped to not go into the story with anticipation of nothing about it being announced and then for there to be no surprises. I liked how things were foreshadowed with the Doctor pondering on his feeling for invoking a superstition at the edge of the universe where the walls are thin, and that will of course play a big part in the next special. But the moment at the end where the Doctor greets Wilf is still just wonderful. I adore it. Overall, a good little read! 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment