Sunday 15 December 2019

The Woman Who Fell to Earth


"We don't get aliens in Sheffield."

Writer: Chris Chibnall
Format: TV
Broadcast: 7th October 2018
Series: 11.01

Featuring: Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Ryan, Graham

Synopsis

In the South Yorkshire city of Sheffield, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O'Brien are about to have their lives changed forever by a mysterious woman who is unable to remember her own names. She comes crashing from the night sky, and their lives will never be the same again.

Verdict

The Woman Who Fell to Earth was a very good start to the eleventh series of Doctor Who. It is obviously a landmark episode for a number of reasons and serves as a great introduction for Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor. Not only does a new incarnation of the Doctor arrive, but we have a brand new team of companions alongside her. I really liked going back to the beginnings for the companions in hindsight. I didn't seem to notice the cinematography differences that I fondly remember from viewing on broadcast and I guess that is because I've got used to the change now. I can't quite believe that it has been over a year since viewing this debut as time really does fly. One thing I particularly noticed was just how dark the episode was. When I say that I mean in terms of visuals with the night setting. It worked very well for Tzim Sha as the villain and I was quite surprised with how little we actually saw of his horrific face. The idea of a monster that took a tooth as a prize from its victims and actually wore it was beyond disturbing and I still maintain that the villain has one of the very best voices of any that have come before it. I loved that element of the character. The arrival of the Doctor into the story is done well with her crashing through a train. She's clearly not quite right but is quick to take charge despite Yaz being a police officer. The ease and effortlessness with which she assumes command of the situation is just brilliant and had Whittaker at her best very early on in her time as the Doctor. I completely forgot that Ryan and Yaz didn't initially know each other and it was a nice moment when they realised exactly who they were. I thought the handling of Ryan's dyspraxia was done well and it was important to raise the issue. Coordination problems are something I can't begin to imagine living with and they were handled extremely well. I do think that dissipated as the series went on though which is a bit of a shame. Grace was a tremendous character and I think her death was as heartfelt as my first viewing. She really was a shining light throughout the episode with her banter with Graham and how he couldn't keep his hands off her on the train. Delightful stuff. I loved how involved she wanted to be and she seemed wanting to keep up with the Doctor. She really was just enjoying herself which was good to see and a contrast to Graham. He could hardly keep up! The plot unlikely centring on Karl as the prize for Tzim Sha to prove himself as leader of the Stenza was really good and I liked how he cheated a bit to gain an upper hand in the form of the Coil. The Doctor took him to town regarding that which was a shining moment in the episode, but I do think the ease with which the DNA bombs were transferred was a little too convenient. The concept behind them though was excellent! I am still unsure about the Doctor's welding of her own sonic screwdriver and I still think it looks quite awful. It's not a big issue though but definitely something that the series as a whole could have improved upon. It is whacky and that is something I associate with the Thirteenth Doctor so it's not all negative! I really liked the element of the conclusion involving the recoil device from the Stenza transport which meant that the Doctor was firmly in the upper hand. Great stuff. Her moment at the end where she emerges in her new outfit was just splendid and she really does look spectacular! The cliffhanger finish with the team helpless in space was a sublime way to end things. Overall, a very solid start to the series! 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment