Tuesday 30 October 2018

No More Lies


"Give me your time!"

Writer: Paul Sutton
Format: Audio
Released: June 2007
Series: EDA 1.06

Featuring: Eighth Doctor, Lucie

Synopsis

What links a disintegrating spaceship to a posh garden party, where a wealthy couple are celebrating their love for each other in style? Gatecrashers the Doctor and Lucie think they know the answer. But they're not the only uninvited guests - ferocious alien warriors riding pterodactyl-like Vortisaurs are about to make their entrance!

Verdict

No More Lies was sadly another quite average audio adventure to continue the first series of the Eighth Doctor Adventures which was a real shame. I had really high hopes prior to starting this range but I've felt a little down so far with half of the releases actually proving to be not that great. It's actually surprised me a great deal because I'd heard great things about the Eighth Doctor and Lucie together and I thought that would be replicated in their stories. Don't get me wrong, this story wasn't atrocious or awful by any stretch of the imagination but it definitely could have been a lot better. I wasn't a huge fan of how things were already in flow full once the story began and it really did feel like I was listening to a part three of a story without having listened/watched the first two parts. It just seemed we were joining halfway through proceedings and I wasn't a fan of that approach. Coming back to my earlier comments about the Eighth Doctor and Lucie, I should mention that I actually thought they were terrific together and they're slowly blossoming into a fantastic pairing in the TARDIS. The comments from the companion where she claimed the Doctor was always looking at her bum were magnificent. His reaction to that was wonderful! He seemed genuinely perplexed as well as actually quite guilty. The premise of this story was pretty interesting but I do think the problem of joining into the story halfway through proceedings hurt things. I liked the return of the Vortisaurs and it made sense that they were attracted to the time loop. Zimmerman knowing his wife was dying must have been incredibly painful but the fact that he'd created a time loop so he could spend an eternal night with his Rachel was extremely touching. I wasn't a big fan of the Tar-Modowk and I thought they sounded a bit too much like a silly monster. I'm a huge fan of the Super Mario game series and they'd be much better suited somewhere like there. I thought the ending was done pretty well and I liked the heartbreak of the Doctor having to destroy the time loop to ensure the Vortisaurs didn't get what they wanted. The concept of the past coming back to haunt oneself was intriguing and really got me thinking. The Headhunter finally catching up with Lucie was a good way to end the story and set up the finale, something I am very excited for! Overall though, an average audio adventure that had a lot of room to improve.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment