Sunday 7 May 2017

Terror of the Cabinet Noir Part 3


"Do not seek to judge the darkness. You know nothing of our existence."

Writer: Robbie Morrison
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 27th April 2017
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 17

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor

Synopsis

A French swordswoman, dark matter monsters, alternate universes, swashbuckling adventure and symbiotic intrigue - all just another Wednesday for the Doctor! But when you throw in secret police, an alien takeover of the aristocracy, a villainous Count, the inquisition, and alchemical discoveries... well, then it gets interesting!

Verdict

Terror of the Cabinet Noir concluded in great style with this terrific third part of the comic strip! I actually thought this was the weakest of the three parts that made up the story but that's not saying it was bad by any stretch of the imagination. I think that just goes to show how much quality this story has but despite that there was still something missing from it that prevented it from getting full marks. I can't quite put my finger on what but it missed out unfortunately. Doorway to Hell is still going to take some beating when it comes to crowning the best Twelfth Doctor comic adventure but DWC is definitely more than capable of taking that crown from DWM! It was quite intriguing to be reading a story featuring the Twelfth Doctor that didn't feature Bill and I like how that was different because it shows how familiar she is coming. I am enjoying that a lot of my blog lately has been taken up by the Twelfth Doctor as it means I'm keeping up with everything that is going on with the current incarnation. I have purchased the three new novels but I think they are going to have to wait until after exams season. I enjoyed the setting of France in 1695 once again and I liked how this part really was about tying up all the loose ends and leading to the resolution. I thought some parts were ever so slightly rushed but I do appreciate that there are only so many pages to play with. The Doctor and Julie getting split up seemed to just happen out of nowhere and there was significant story advancement between turning the page which seemed a little odd but it did make for quite the exciting conclusion which is a positive. Just when it seemed that Julie's fate was sealed and she would be going to the guillotine, the Doctor pops up out of nowhere to reveal himself to be the would be executioner. Quite the perfect disguise and the Doctor was quite impressed by his timing as well! The whole plan of Richelieu and the Cabinet Noir's darkness inside him revolved around the impending eclipse in which darkness would takeover France. This is where he planned to strike and eradicate the population. The Doctor's anger at his failure to educate instead was excellent and I really enjoyed the mentions of the way beings of dark matter saw our universe. Where we look at them with darkness, they looked into us and saw light. I really liked the imagery that accompanied that. I must say that I thought the artwork was once again spectacular and the Twelfth Doctor segment of DWC is certainly leading the way when it comes to the art quality in Doctor Who comic strip adventures. It really is a joy to read. The characterisation of Peter Capaldi's incarnation was very good and that also makes for better reading. I really am loving his Doctor across all of the formats at the moment. The ending was quite dramatic and extraordinary with the Doctor conjuring up light and time tunnels to eradicate the darkness but he got the job done and France was saved. What Richelieu's existence fifty years after his death means I'm not so sure, is history restored? The ambiguity regarding Julie joining the Doctor on his travels was interesting and I would like to see her get at least one trip in the TARDIS. I don't think it'll happen though. Overall, a brilliant comic strip story!

Rating: 9/10 



No comments:

Post a Comment